Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dont want IEP services-can i say no???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MommyT
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Dont want IEP services-can i say no??? Reply with quote

We have decided to homeschool using the K12 curiculumn from the school-so we will still be in the system. My son(Cool does have an IEP along with a behavior plan etc. In the IEP it states speech 2 x a week-which was being provided.
We deciedd to pull my son as his homeschool was abusing the timeout room and his transfered school was abusing him-physically. Which leaves me very littel trust with the school professionals in my district.
Being I am going to be with the K12 program-can I deny these services-saying we dont want them-and can I provide it myself instead-which is what I want to do? Would he have to get the services at the schools where he was mistreated?
I just dont want to go back to any school and have a hostile environment that we both have to deal with again...Im tired of teh fighting....
Any advice on this?
Love ya,
tammy
cartersmom
User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every place appears to interpret the law differently but you can, as a parent, usually refuse services, especially if it has been proven (like in the incidents you mentioned) that the school is not effective in the way they are trying to provide these services. This *may* help: http://www.ahem.info/HSandSPED.htm

If you really get a fight refusing services, why do the K12 curriculum? That way you can outright refuse any intervention from the schools.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, as the parent, have the right to modify your child's IEP, at any time. If you want the services provided by someone else, that is your right. Some states will make you pay for it, and others will pay for it for you. Just say that you want to have a meeting to modify your IEP, and then tell them your plan. When they change it, if you don't like it you don't sign it, they can't implement an IEP without your signature. You should talk to a lawyer to know the laws in your state but this should true in all states because off the Federal law involving special needs children.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
cartersmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that schools can implement an IEP without your signature. They send a letter to the home that is called an Intent to Implement IEP, if you do not respond within a certain amount of time, they implement it and say that you were notified. This is in the case of a parent that will not respond. However, if you actively oppose something in the IEP they cannot implement the IEP. Threaten to take the IEP through "due process" and they almost always back off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: