New with lots of questions

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

heatherly30
User

New with lots of questions

Postby heatherly30 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:09 pm

Hi Ladies!
I am so happy to find you. My name is Heather, I am 30 y.o. and momma to Samuel (3) and Abigail (1). I am a former elementary school teacher, but when it comes to instructing my preschool age child, I feel totally lost. He is actually starting a preschool 2 half days per week in September, but I would like to begin some structured activities with him now, and then carry over these activities when he begins in a few months.

I have searched the internet over, and there is TONS out there. What would you all suggest. Consider me lazy, but I want something that will tell me what to do each day, so that I don't have to do much planning. Is there such thing? Anything like this that is free?

If anyone can give me some ideas on how to start, I would be grateful!

Thanks!

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:02 pm

Check out www.letteroftheweek.com It has a few different curriculum guides.

At this age, though, exploration is the key. I prefer to go more of a Montessori route with books like Teach Me To Do It Myself! and activities that are self-starting and self-correcting.

You also might like Before Five In A Row. Check your library to see what they have in the way of preschool activities and development books.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

heatherly30
User

Postby heatherly30 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:52 pm

AWESOME...exactly what I was looking for!

amird
User

let the kids be kids

Postby amird » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:22 pm

why not letting the kids be kids?
why not let them learn what and when they want?
let them still enjoy the best way of learning
[url=http://www.la-am.com/]×”×›× ×” לכיתה ×

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:29 pm

StellarStory
User

Re: let the kids be kids

Postby StellarStory » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:30 pm

elijah310
User

Postby elijah310 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:30 pm

I have just started using a curriculum from mothergoosetime.com which I absolutely love. I have a 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old. I am also a teacher now stay at home mom. I am actually not a big advocate of preschool believing that lots of reading and experiences is adequate. THis worked great for my 18 year old son but my 3 1/2 year old just isn't following that trend. Anyway, I decided to do something more formal and after much searching came across this. We have done it for a month and both of my boys beg for "Classroom, Mommy". It is so awesome. It has lots of hands-on projects. Aside from basic supplies (crayons, paints, scissors, ...) they provide everything and organize it by day. The only thing I do is add extra stories that correlate with the theme. You should really check it out!

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:23 pm

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”