How do I get them into History?

Discuss Greece or ancient Rome - or maybe the history of the United States.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momo3boys
User

How do I get them into History?

Postby momo3boys » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:30 pm

I am teaching my two oldest 7and 9 they sometimes get into history but not for very long. We are what some would consider unschooling, but I never knew what that was until Iread an article about it over the summer. I just want to know what others do to keep them interested in history.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:49 pm

We did our first history lesson today for an 8 and 9 yo. It was extremely short. It was on very simply state history. I read to them some short facts off line and had them color the state flag while I did it. That really was the extent of their attention on a history subject. Of course this is our 3rd week of HS. Tomorrow I will read a couple more facts and go back over the old and they will color the state bird. Same for the next day with coloring of the state flower. On Thursday, they will write a couple of sentences about what they know about Louisiana and then color the state map. I am not going to force too much, when I personally HATE history. I know they will pick up on it. Our boxed program starts next week and I will then be using its guide for history. But from what I have read in the boxed set so far. It really isn't much more indepth then what I stated above.

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:03 am

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:01 am

There are movies that can spark interest . . . School House Rock has lots of US History songs/cartoons that work well as an introduction.

I like Charlotte Mason's idea of "living books" instead of textbooks, esp. for history. You can take a look at http://www.livingbooks.com for a good list of world and US history books that are interesting instead of merely factual.

Are there nearby field trips you can make? Eg, we live near St. Louis, MO. We took an Amtrak to Springfield, IL, and learned about Lincoln by touring his home, and going to the new presidential museum which has some interactive things, and lots of manequin-type scenes for the period. If there's something like that nearby, a field trip could be all that's needed for an impetus to learn history.

I hope that helps!
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

David
User

Postby David » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:16 pm

We took our kids to Hawaii. We went to the bay where Capt. Cook was killed, as it was a gorgeous place to Kayak. From the Kayak we jumped off and went snorkeling with the gorgeous fish and even dolphins. While Kayaking out to the point, my brother who lives there, fascinated with the history of the place, gave us all the entire history of the place, the incident of the captains death, and the history of Capt. Cook.

The children, fascinated with the story, didn't even know that it was a history lesson.

We have done similiar things when visiting the White House in Washington, the plains of Canada, etc.

We try to make schooling as little like school as possible. Initiating an interest is the key. Then you can't make them put down the books till they have found out everything there is to know about a subject.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:59 am

Jo from Australia

janzeiger
User

History

Postby janzeiger » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:00 am

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:55 pm

I'd like to get a list of living books to read but that site livingbooks.com was down. Right now we're working on a MLKJ lapbook and she's enjoying it. I don't expect her to remember everything but she's trying. I also made her a notebook timeline to use. We're also working on geography right now and that's really fitting in with our history to a point. What I'm doing is I bought a 5th grade geography workbook and wrote in all the answers so that we can just sit down and look at the globe as we "work" through the workbook. I am also going to go through the states and read a small book about each state to her, let her color the flag and look at where it is on the map. We're starting with our own state first. Luckily my daughter really enjoys what we're doing so I don't see any reason to change what's working for us.
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 pm

Thank you all for the great ideas! wow! I am starting on a trip through the states. KNowing where they are, and who was there. We live in Massachusetts so we have alot of field trips we can take. Thank you so much for everything. I appreciate it.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:37 pm

I find most history to be dry and anachronistic.

What I like best are thanks that put a "handle" on history for me or make it relate-able. Things like Colonial House on PBS, movies and good historical novels work for me.

My kids and I actually like most ancient history but not the more modern history.

I got a book called "Let Authors Speak" which lists historical novels by time period and such. I also have found some web sites with historical movies, many of them are boring so I have to be careful.

One of the best was the original All's Quiet On The Western Front which we enjoyed even though it was so old. It was so good, my girl wanted to read the novel too.

Hands on history museums, and such can be good. I do caution people though about just going to things like this and expecting history to sink in by hanging there. The kids and you have to direct and apply what they see or learn, it doesn't just happen, IMO.

I hear The Story of the World is good but perhaps a bit religious too. It's several volumes. If I understand correctly it's for the grade school ages.

I've just started reading Lies My Teachers Told Me, which I think has some valuable lessons to teach on how history becomes known and why it is written the way it is.

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:34 pm

We are using Story of the World. So far I love the Activity Book. The "text" is a bit dry but the Activity book is great.

www.pennygardner.com has some great book lists for history and so does abookintime.com
AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:13 pm

I would think that reading biographies or historical fiction would be useful for approaching a topic. For example, the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder would give a child a connection to what it was like for kids growing up in the pioneer days. Then you could add in some more formal history lessons or documentaries about that time and they might be more interested in it. You might also add an historical novel written about some Native American tribe or a biography about a tribal Chief.

Likewise, when they are older and you get to WWII, you might read The Diary of Anne Frank, Hiroshima, and something about someone held in a U.S. Japanese containment camp. I haven't read it, but I think Snow Falling on Cedars is related to that.

Roots might be an introduction to slavery. What was the movie that was about a slave ship captain that realized the error of his ways or something like that? Those two examples might be too graphic for a while though. You could bring in oral histories, African stories that slaves brought with them, slave songs, the underground railroad, etc.

Ramona
User

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Postby Ramona » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:27 pm

knobren
User

Re: Laura Ingalls Wilder

Postby knobren » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:49 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:03 am

Return to “History”