Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Validating socialization concerns within public schools.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Validating socialization concerns within public schools. Reply with quote

Recently during a conversation, it was mentioned that socialization issues within public schools are no more valid than the ones for homeschooling. I found this idea to be particularly interesting coming from a homeschooling parent, because it was so different than the ones I typically read about and hear from others.

I believe that the socialization concerns most homeschooling parents have about public schools are quite valid and easily observed, so I am providing a few opinions from others that I have found. Please feel free to add your own.

Public School vs. Homeschool Socialization by Brenda Hoffman
Quote:
Many public school parents often ask homeschool parents, "If children are taught at home, won't they miss the valuable socialization that takes place in school?" Truth be told, most homeschool parents feel that the public school's social life is enough of a reason for them to homeschool....

Public schools restrict these children to a world which adults believed children wanted. This causes many children's enthusiasm to die an early death. Why? Because shame is one of the first lessons that children learn in school. Oftentimes this happens when children want to be "different" from those around them. These children want to be recognized as individuals. However, public schools shun this.

Homeschool Children And Mass Society's Values by Brenda Hoffman
Quote:
Schools may be able to prepare children to fit into the mass society or to help them find a set of values with which they could resist and reject the values of mass society. What this really means is that schools can teach children to believe what most people believe and to like what most people like. However, they cannot do both: prepare children to fit into mass society while helping them find a set of values with which they could resist and reject the values of mass society....

It's actually become so ingrained within society to think that in order for children to to live reasonably happy, useful, and successful lives they have to be considerably like most other people.

Socialization: Rules vs. Respect by Julie Ann Sih
Quote:
Three weeks ago, I quoted Fred Frankel, Ph.D., on the rules of etiquette for joining other kids at play. Dr. Frankel contends that socially well-adjusted adults have mastered the intricacies of such social codes, from an early age. His book is chock-full of tables entitled "The Rules of Being a Good Sport," "The Rules of Being a Good Host," etc., etc....

So, if the type of social code-acquisition that takes place in unfriendly schoolyards is so darned important, why are homeschooled kids "happier, better adjusted and more sociable" than children attending institutional schools?

What About Socialization? by Rebecca Kochenderfer
Quote:
This and other studies support the irony of the socialization issue in homeschooling that we have known for years, which is that traditional schools are actually more on a path of de-socialization. In traditional schools students learn to stay in a class to which they've been assigned and are grouped according to age and academic level, and generally with students from the same geographic area and socio-economic background....

The structure and reality of traditional schools are teaching students to be passive and compliant, which can follow the children throughout life. Children can learn to take abuse, to ignore miserable bosses or abusive spouses later on. In a traditional school someone else usurps authority.

TEN GOOD REASONS TO HOMESCHOOL by Greg Sherman, Ph.D.
Quote:
Reason #6: Based on my observations, children in typical homogenous classrooms need to provide their own social modeling and behavioral feedback as they interact with each other throughout the school day. And in many cases, I have clearly seen that children are not usually the best teachers of constructive communication skills (listening, asking for clarification, evaluating without criticizing, etc.) or skills associated with conflict resolution. Stripping away the surface social behaviors observed among members of homogenous groups of children often reveals a more basic set of behaviors that are more in communion with the social order depicted in The Lord of the Flies.
Sunnymom
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some terrific links.

I have often said that all one has to do to realize that PS socialization hoovers is to watch a couple of John Hughes movies. Wink
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get citations there!

I never meant to invalidate social concerns in public schools btw. That so wasn't my intent.

I must come back when I have time to read each one of these carefully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: