Should I or Shouldn't I?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Should I Homeschool My Daughter?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:03 pm

YES!!! MOST DEFINITELY!!
100%
NO - KEEP HER IN SCHOOL
No votes

Total votes: 2

starboard
User

Should I or Shouldn't I?

Postby starboard » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:03 pm

:? Hi, My daughter is a first grader in a public school. She has some fine motor delays with her hands, but is otherwise a bright intelligent child. She has been placed for the second year in an inclusion class. More and more services and teachers have been added to her "educational plan". She is a wonderful child who is bored in her classroom and is acting out for attention. Every day I am getting notes home in a journal we keep that she is disruptive, whines, cries and refuses to do her school work. She says she is bored and reads well above grade level along with many other symptoms of being intelligent. The more she acts out, the more teachers they add to her plan. She now has the 5 inclusion teachers, a special ed teacher , gym teacher, music teacher, Spanish teacher, Occupational Therapist, art teacher, a specialized reading teacher for "slower" children (she reads well above grade level), a Child "School" Psychologist, & 2 (yes TWO) Specialized Teachers (Tutors) in the classroom . The more attention she gets, the more she seeks. I kind of think 15 teachers is extreme and although they are very kind and helpful, I do believe I can offer her a better education through homeschooling.

Also, she was (assaulted by another 6-year old boy - details edited out by moderator to keep forum accessable by children). Good Grief, my daughter is six years old!!

They now believe she has ADD and want her tested and medicated for it. I believed she has a gifted/ADD type character and am batting my head against the wall here trying to do what is best for my little girl.

Can anyone offer some advice that would help me in making this decision? What would you do?

Theodore

Take her out of public school.

Postby Theodore » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:42 am

Everyone has "ADD" when it comes to subjects they're not interested in and not motivated to learn. Sounds to me like your daughter is quite capable of learning the material, but much of school probably bores her, and when she doesn't try hard, all that happens is she gets another teacher assigned. There's no penalty for failure, and little encouragement for success, so the easiest path is for her to be as mediocre as possible, especially since all the teachers have apparently decided it's easiest to label her as a problem child and drug her.

Given this situation, plus the fact that she's being assaulted at school, I can't see how anyone in their right mind would say to keep her there. This has to be the poster child situation for homeschooling. Take her out of public school immediately, give her a few weeks to detox (mentally), then set her up on a year-round schedule rather than semester-based. This will allow you to cover more material with her while at the same time significantly reducing her daily load. Extra time can be spent on extracurriculars or the academic subjects she enjoys most - one of the many nice things about homeschooling is the ability to specialize rather than sticking to the same grade level in everything.

starboard
User

Thank You for the Advice

Postby starboard » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:18 am

Hello, and thank you for the advice. I appreciate it more than you know and am in the process of just putting a stamp on the envelope for a letter of intent to homeschool my daughter.

I have the Conners' Parent Rating Scale and the BASC parent tests and a consent form in front of me that I will not sign, and will be homeschooling my daughter as soon as possible. I don't believe she needs medication at all.

From all the links and info on this website, I have been able to make the decision! It is a big help to know there are so many resources available. I really enjoyed the link to the site showing percentiles.

What I don't understand is why they won't give a high school diploma to homeschool children.It winds up there is a group right here in my town through a local church with tons of info. They go on field trips, have all kinds of extracurricular activities and all the help you could want.

Thank you for helping me make such an important decision!! :D

Theodore

You can "award" yourself a homeschool diploma...

Postby Theodore » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:42 am

You can, however, complete the high school graduation requirements for your state to your own satisfaction and "award" yourself a diploma. So long as you have a well-organized transcript, or better yet, a set of nationally standardized test scores (PSAT/SAT/ACT + CLEP/AP/DANTES), you should have no trouble getting into colleges or the business world. My oldest bro, for instance, was accepted at the Coast Guard Academy, which has one of the most stringent sets of entrance requirements of any college. He graduated recently with honors, and is now on active duty.

Some of the larger homeschool groups, especially state groups, hold yearly graduation ceremonies for those who like the big fanfare :wink:

starboard
User

Thanks For the Tip

Postby starboard » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:54 am

Theodore

If there's a tax break, I don't know about it...

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:10 am

Ramonda
User

Postby Ramonda » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:57 am

I can't figure out how to vote. Anyway, I say keep her home if you can. After all, she can always go back later if it does not work, and in the mean time, she can mature and be safe with Mom.

Theodore

You can't vote because the poll has expired...

Postby Theodore » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:51 am

I think the poll was set up to only last for a short time. That's probably why you can't vote.

LoveSW
User

New HSM

Postby LoveSW » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:09 pm

I'm new at this thing as well, and I love the quality time that we get to spend together.... So I highly recommend homeschooling and think that it is a wonderful thing. :D

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:55 pm

Homeschooling is a great choice especially if you have the time and attention to devote to it. I highly recommend finding a group of homeschoolers in your area for support and helpful tips! :) It's easier if you know a group of likeminded people.

Return to “Getting Started”