Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Child born Sept 10...ramifications for schooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auntbeast
User

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Child born Sept 10...ramifications for schooling Reply with quote

Our cutoff date for schools is being born before Sept 1. Most preschools adhere to that sort of schedule so even a very beginner 3+ type school would not be available to her until she was almost 4.

My daughter is now 20 months old. She is my first and only child so far and is an absolute joy. That being said, I have family members who home school their children and have great success with it. While I have my concerns and my husband is very anti-homeschool, I do think that while it is a decision I have years to make, I feel I can begin setting the stage at home soon.

I'm curious, when did/do you start playing "school" with your children. Would I be better off continuing the unstructured way we are going, which frankly scares me that I might be missing something, or start being more structured not only for her, but for me as well.

What options are out there for very young children who are still years away from a traditional school environment, yet who absolutely deserve to learn and prosper. Ok, ok, and for neurotic, older first time parents who think that they have the most bestest baby in the whole entire world and get mentally hysterical at the idea of not doing a good enough job?
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to read to her as much as you can, keep the TV off, and give her plenty of creative toys. You may or may not have success teaching letters and numbers, but it probably won't hurt to give it a try. Formal phonics can probably wait until mid to late age 3, most of us learned to read late 3 or early 4.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughters were both born at the end of October, and our school's cut-off date is Sept. 30. I plan to homeschool, for many reasons, but also partly because I just can't see holding off for another full year when they're so close! --just like your daughter.

My oldest will be 4 at the end of October. If I went by the school's date (whether starting her in Kindergarten at a conventional school, or at home), she would not start Kindergarten until the fall she turns 6!

If I start her in Kindergarten "early", she still has a year of preschool before that happens. If I wait another year, she has 2 more years to go. I do plan on starting her in Kindergarten 1 year from now.

My point is, in my situation, and in yours, you have plenty of time to do what you want at home, gradually introduce colors, shapes, letters, numbers, days of the week, discussion about the different states (ie. some people live a long way away...Grandma M. lives here in Ohio, Grandma B. lives in Michigan, etc...)

You don't have to tell anyone what you intend or wish for your daughter, because whichever way you go, homeschool or formal school, she's not that age yet, and anything you do now, even if it's just reading a lot to her (my almost-2-year-old loves to be read to), will only help her later.

We started first with colors and shapes, and then used flash cards for letters & numbers. We're just now starting to learn days of the week, a couple of states, letter sounds, and some "pre-writing" exercises.
gardening momma
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Child born Sept 10...ramifications for schooling Reply with quote

Auntbeast wrote:
Would I be better off continuing the unstructured way we are going, which frankly scares me that I might be missing something, or start being more structured not only for her, but for me as well.

If you are mostly unstructured now, I would keep it that way for a while. You can add a little bit of structure each day, for a short time period, if you wish. My friend started "carpet time" with her kids when they were very young (when her oldest was probably 2-3). It was a time where they sat on the carpet in a certain room (the office/den), and she had a tub of stuff that she'd bring in. She did one letter per week, and had objects in the tub that began with that letter, as well as books that might focus on that letter, or told a story about something that began with that letter (like egg, for E). She had songs/rhymes, etc...

I thought that was a great idea, but I never got organized, focused, or into enough of a routine to ever implement it. We just started doing "preschool", and now my daughter will ask to "do preschool". We sit at the dining room table and I bring stuff out from our "preschool cupboard".

Auntbeast wrote:
What options are out there for very young children who are still years away from a traditional school environment, yet who absolutely deserve to learn and prosper. Ok, ok, and for neurotic, older first time parents who think that they have the most bestest baby in the whole entire world and get mentally hysterical at the idea of not doing a good enough job?

For your daughter, at 20 months, point to things in your house, and name the color. Point to things and name them ("chair" "table" etc...). Identify & name body parts. (Ask her where her arm is, legs, nose, ears, etc...) This is great fun for "neurotic, older first time parents"! (Speaking from experience!) As an example, I taught both of my daughters between the age of 1 & 2, to raise their arms up in the air at the word "touchdown". I'm not a huge football fan, but it's so fun to see them spontaneously respond!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Child born Sept 10...ramifications for schooling Reply with quote

Auntbeast wrote:

Montessori/Waldorf type set ups at home, depending on the personality of the child. My youngest does best with a Montessori structure - self guided activities with a control of error - everything from how to put on a coat to academics.
My oldest I'm thinking would have done better in a Waldorf setting - more focus on imagination and creativity with good materials.

The library should have introductory books on each.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: