do i teach him now or later

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jessgray
User

do i teach him now or later

Postby jessgray » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:22 am

ok this is the 3rd time i have tried to type this post (lol gotta love 6 month olds trying to help you type :lol: )
my oldest boy is 2 on april 25th and well he seem sbored. he has an expressive speech delay so he doesnt talk much if at all. he says 2 words clearly the rest is jibberish. he likes to read. he loves drawing. he jsut doesnt seem challenged he is learning to sign (auslan) but is yet to sign words clearly :lol: he is very curiosu about how things work and hardly sleeps :lol: how can i challenge him without seeming as though i am pushing him too much :?:
i want to homeschool but my partner isnt overally keen on the idea :lol:

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:13 pm

My son is 2.5 and also very bright. What are your sons interests?

My son loves anything to do with numbers (clocks, calendars, rulers, timers), shapes, letters, and colors. He paints and draws every day, he loves to do his puzzles of the alphabet, the 50 states, numbers 1-20, and most of all he loves his books. I peruse the goodwill and tag sales and get any book I think will interest him. He loves to just sit and go through books. He loves to listen to some Spanish Cd's we have for him and basically loves learning. He loves learning so I indulge that to the best of my ability! He also loves to play games online at leapfrog.com and starfall.com. We just got him a new toy called gears, gears, gears and he LOVES it. His fave thing is the library too.

I would say just follow your son's interests and he will let you know what interests him. As for pushing him if you follow his lead I don't see that as pushing- you are just feeding his curiosity! Just my 2 cents!

I decided I wanted to hs when ds was 18 months and dh said "No way". So I took another hs mom's advice and read a lot about homeschooling and kept talking about it with him- now dh is 100% behind it. Plus he has met some kids who are hs and sees their parents and knows it isn't weirdos who hs it is parents who truly just want the best for their kids! :) So keep working on him you have a few years! Maybe join a hs group too. They accept all ages usually and it is good for your kids to meet other kids to grow up with who are also hs'ers.

jessgray
User

Postby jessgray » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:58 pm

:D thanks i have contacted my local hs network. my ds1 loves music,painting and he love to read to himself(although at the moment he rips pages out lol)he loves cooking and likes to help make cakes.he loves to draw.

for a while ds1 loved books by dr suess but now he is kinda over them :lol: i have considered teaching him another language but i dont think i wil till he has mastered english he has a little while to go before he will be be ready due to his expressive speech delay.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:19 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

jessgray
User

Postby jessgray » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:50 pm

keptwoman
User

Postby keptwoman » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 am

Sandra, Homeschooling Mum in Australia

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:15 pm

In this case I would rather be safe then sorry. My oldest had a delay as I said. It led to a learning disability and if he hadn't had the speech help he never would have been diagnosed. I am very thankful that we found some wonderful people to work with him

As far as testing goes, there are a lot of test. The Goldman Fristo, is one, Michigan is the most common. Make sure that they not only test for a delay but for articulation as well. Some children can comprehend wonderfully, but if they aren't understood by the general population then you have a problem. If you don't think the testing was accurate, it is your right as a parent to have it done by someone else. The Federal law mandates that if your son needs services, they have to provide for it. Just make sure that they are doing their job by making sure that if he needs services they are getting them for you. Be nice but well informed, there are advocates that you can get to help you if you need them.

I hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

keptwoman
User

Postby keptwoman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Sandra, Homeschooling Mum in Australia

easyhomeschooling
User

Re: do i teach him now or later

Postby easyhomeschooling » Tue May 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

amird
User

Postby amird » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:33 pm

I agree very much with easyhomeschooling
[url=http://www.la-am.com/]×”×›× ×” לכיתה ×

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”