homeschooling oneself

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wdjd4kp
User

homeschooling oneself

Postby wdjd4kp » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:51 am

Please don't think I'm crazy. But I was raised in a cult and they strongly encouraged our parents to not let us finish high school, but to do their work. I loved school. Not to mention that I was raised in an abusive home in more ways than one. Anyway, so they made me quit school. I got married at 15 and my life went downhill even worse from there. I'm not going to get into all my life story. It would just take to long. I did get my G.E.D. at 17, the same year I would have graduated from high school. I passed with flying colors. But if anybody has taken that test, you know it's just the basics. I'm pretty smart, but I didn't get all the math stuff or history, etc. I love math. Anyway, I was just wondering if I could get some feedback about homeschooling oneself to get the deeper knowledge one may have missed. I am a grandmother now and keep my grandbabies two days a week. I work with my pre-school grandson everyday. And I guess that's what makes me really miss the things I missed. Do you all think that's crazy? I really would appreciate
any input from ya all. Thank you.
Mrs. Kathi J Peacock. Jesus rocks.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:08 pm

You are absolutely not crazy. You are above most of the rest of the world you should never be ashamed to gain more knowledge! I would recommend finding someone to be accountable to if you choose to do a curriculum. You could also find some college textbooks and study the subjects you want to learn more about, or you could do what my mother did. Go to a community college. The average age is in the 30s and it is geared toward people getting there education later in life, or earlier (for high schoolers that homeschool)

You could also take on teaching you grandbabies things and then you will learn a ton yourself!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Ramona
User

Re: homeschooling oneself

Postby Ramona » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:50 pm

There's a book by Susan Wise Bauer. I believe it's called The Well Educated Mind. (This is different from her book with her mother, Jessie Wise, which I think is called The Well Trained Mind.) Anyway, the newer one tells how to use 5 different genres of literature to give yourself the education you wish you'd had, including booklists in each genre. I think it's a good place to start.

Ramona

wdjd4kp
User

homeschooling oneself

Postby wdjd4kp » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Mrs. Kathi J Peacock. Jesus rocks.

Return to “High School / College Prep”