Tremendous hostility over homeschooling

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Calla_Dragon
User

Tremendous hostility over homeschooling

Postby Calla_Dragon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:07 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:24 pm

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:22 pm

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:43 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:33 pm

This person has a child that is in the public school system and tried to tell me that since they supplement the child's education, they're homeschoolers lol.

There are now two people who are going after homeschooling hardcore and not to generalize, but these two are hard core liberals.

As for mods, it's a largely unmoderated, but private board. We've all known each other for years and one of the sections is notorious for getting nasty. The general rule is either deal with it or don't participate.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:01 pm

frogguruami: Ultimately, much of life is patterns and stereotypes, since it's impossible to intimately know every individual on earth, so you end up extrapolating based off past experience. My point is that liberals tend to ignore the past experience part and depend more on what everyone else is thinking, which makes it easy for them to reach an incorrect point of view and then blindly stick to it. I'm certainly not saying that all liberals are like this - in fact, a fair number homeschool - but the liberal point of view does seem to either attract or produce unoriginal thinkers. I could write a whole essay on why I think this is, but I'm not going to do so here.

Ratio of swear words between liberal and conservative blogs is 18:1

Liberal or conservative, though, anyone who holds x point of view but isn't willing to explain why or defend his position, is just mentally lazy. Once someone starts attacking you and not specific points of your argument, you've already won the debate.

When in doubt, just ask "Why?" That one word stumps quite a few people :)

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:23 pm

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian

www.seilerclan.info

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:34 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 pm

I've seen that sort of hostility on sites I'm on before. If you don't get defensive and continue to use facts, logic with well written posts, I think it can help some. If you begin to attack, you lose IMO.

Jerks will show themselves to be jerks without our help. Ignorance will out as well.

I'm in a fairly unique position. I can state clearly what I thought about home schooling when I was fairly ignorant about it and what I know about now that I've researched it and lived it.

TeachingMyOwnAtHome
User

Postby TeachingMyOwnAtHome » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:25 am

I have found, as mentioned previously, that people get quite defensive to even aggressive about the mere mention of homeschooling when they are comfortable with how their own children are being educated. :roll:

However, that reaction is
NOTHING compared to the ones I have received from teachers, particularly retired teachers. :shock:
"Parents give up their rights when they drop the children off at public school." -- Melinda Harmon, Federal Judge, 1996

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:41 am

I read somewhere that like 98% of teachers believe homeschooling is worse than public schooling. The last 2% are probably homeschooling their kids, since at least 2-3 people here on the forum are public school teachers.

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:31 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:05 pm

I had a couple of friends that were cool about home schooling but NO one else in either family liked the idea. They really wanted to talk me out of it.

My mother used to be a teacher and a principal. She was particularly against it. It's strange to me because she taught me at home long before I was old enough to go to school. I thought she'd get it. She's always wanted me to be a teacher. It was a job I never wanted to have in a school system because of the paperwork and regulations they have to struggle under.

I have always enjoyed teaching in other ways and facilitating learning though.

I think it makes sense for most people with education degrees, particularly older ones, to be against home schooling. It goes counter to what they learned and what they believe will help the schools they teach or taught in.

These days many of the teachers I deal with in my job or socially don't have any problem with home schooling. Many people I talk to "wish" they could home school.

seekingmyLord
User

Re: Tremendous hostility over homeschooling

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:25 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:12 am

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”