Depressed?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

3GiftsFromGod
User

Depressed?

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:28 pm

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:38 pm

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:41 pm

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Do you have "adult" time in your schedule? Do you do things with friends? Do you schedule alone time or time alone with your spouse? It is hard to be "on" 24/7 with anyone. You need some downtime or you might lose your temper and say or do hurtful things to your kids or yourself. Remember, to care for others well, you must first take care of yourself. Caregivers burn out if they never have time away from their kids or their elderly or sick loved ones.

It is also possible that you might have clinical depression and might benefit by seeking medical help. If this is the case, remember that it is not a sign of weakness; it is a physical disease that can be treated.

-B

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:20 am

I'm right there with you.

The wondering if I'm doing it right, the kids fussing at each other - all of it. ESPECIALLY the shower issue - that's my typical thing. "Guess what I did today?" "I took a shower!" Fortunately, the most important people in my life have been there too and are just happy for me. :D

Plus, we just moved to a town (for hubby's work) where we didn't know a single soul when we moved in. We have made friends of many of the neighbors, who are all older than we are, but that is more to our benefit than not.

To be frank, I have problems at PMS time (sorry fellas - but it's important with women) and one thing that my awesome MIL told me is that for some immediate help - try Evening Primrose oil. It comes in a gel-cap, you can typically find it at your local drugstore and it has definitely helped me. With 3 VERY active and verbose boys between 6.5 and 2 yrs old, you might say that I get pretty stressed in the day-to-day activities.

Hope you have a great day and that, at the very least, you get to have a shower. :P
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

learningallthetime
User

Reply to 2giftsfromGod

Postby learningallthetime » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi there, I can so totally sympathize with you, even though I am all done (sort of) with HS after 17 plus years, but I still remember those times. And no, there was nothing perfect or at times admirable about my behaviour etc, but the crucible of HS will help you sort out what is most important. I remember praying on the text "seek ye 1st the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you" and asking "please God, could you add a bit of Algebra here and there and all the other things I am not getting to today," when I realized what I was reading/discussing with them was probably eternally more important. But many days my lessons were not as profound or organized, yet it mostly got done and it was enough.

Background: 3 sons, ages 25,23,21 older 2 already graduated from top 20's Univ. and forging ahead, youngest has one semester left at a top-ranked (for whatever that is worth) Univ. with Golden Key and Phi Beta Kappa already awarded him. He didn't read well til past 9, so nothing was perfect around here, but God is gracious. Just put it in His hands and trust and value yourself a great deal more. God gave your kids to the perfect Mom for them, not perfect in ourselves mind you, but the one designed to guide them. Don't worry about whoever you are comparing yourself to because, trust me, all is not perfect at their house either. But no one will take the time, trouble and care with your gifts from God that you will and you have only to ask and He will help you. I hope this lifts your load a little.

learningallthetime
User

getting a shower

Postby learningallthetime » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 am

I realize your 2 are probably outgrowing this solution, but for what it's worth here's what I did: put a childproof doorknob cover on inside of bathroom door, so you lock them in with you, that way they stay out of unobservable trouble... childproof latches on all bathroom cabinets and drawers except one which contains only toys they never get to see anywhere else, think "happy meal toys" etc.

The time I strayed from this formula I thought Grandpa could keep an eye on my 2 year old while I showered, but fortunately his guardian angel tapped me on the shoulder as I was heading upstairs and said "think again" I returned to the kitchen to find that Grandpa had already dozed off while DS was busily placing plastic toy scrambled eggs in a plastic toy skillet and preparing to try to light the stove under them....yeah.

micheller79
User

depressed mom

Postby micheller79 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:03 am

knobren
User

Re: Depressed?

Postby knobren » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:53 am

3GiftsFromGod
User

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:11 pm

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I had some computer issues so I couldn't check back until now. I honestly am tempted to get mad about the depression thing, I mean we all go through this right? But, I read on and I understand, but I am not sure. I am also having MAJOR female issues so I think its possible for it to be a touch of hormones. I go back and forth, blah! I have been on my period for 2 months straight, (sorry guys) and I just have no energy left. Yes, I have seen my doctor and we are working on figuring it out, and getting DH and I into debt with hospital bills! :) SO, I guess I am saying it is so very nice to hear you have all felt like this and the dark days end. Thank you very much. I will continue to go to God with this! I know that He is my ever present help!

3GiftsFromGod
User

Re: Depressed?

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:18 pm

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:07 pm

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:34 pm

sheila
User

Postby sheila » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:02 pm

WOW. CAN I RELATE TO THIS. i am toiling over sending my four to school this year, and all of your reasons are mine too. I do not know how these HS moms balance the act, groceries, Dr. visits, exercise, oil changes, errands, seeing my mom, being involved in church....how does the balance work?
My kids are 12,10, 7 and 6- homeschooling since the beginning and still STRUGGLING.
sheila

midnightsgarden
User

Postby midnightsgarden » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 pm

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”