Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Postby ash_mel » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:11 pm

I have a soon to be one year old (July 2nd). I have been wanting to homeschool her when she was older, well before I was even pregnant. I didn't realize until a friend, that wants to homeschool, said she believes homeschooling starts at birth. Well I feel late now -

But my question is -- does anyone know of any good resources, rather it be magazines, or books, that can keep me on track with homeschooling? And teach me all I need to know to be sure I do this right and start out on the right foot. We play with blocks now and I try to make sure I explain things we do, what the dog does, etc etc. I'm a very adament breastfeeder, and I went into that gun-ho know it all and ended up in a lot of pain and in surgery when she was 2 weeks old - I don't want to go into this thinking I know everything and get all messed up again, lol. So *help* :)

I also had another question - I had a speech problem for many years, I don't feel it's completely cleared up. So is homeschooling really a good idea for me anyway? I hate that she has to learn how to talk from me...but I'm a stay home mom anyway and dad is about to deploy to Iraq for 15 months, so I'm all she's going to have regardless.

Thank you!!

Postby 4given » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 pm

My suggestion would be to relax and enjoy your daughter. At 1 yo, a formal curriculum would be over-the-top in my opinion. Allow her to continue learning through play and read to her daily. Use this time to gain an understanding of her learning style. I agree with your friend that HS begins at birth...but too much too soon will only serve to cause burn-out.

Postby Lily » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:22 am

The most I would think about with your daughter's age are two books:
Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready
Teach Me To Do It Myself!

The first focuses on development and developmental activities to do with your child, the second on teaching in a Montessori way - simple activities where the child can be self starting and independently working.

Honestly, though, the most important thing you could do for your child at this point, no matter what schooling you choose later, is to learn as much as you can about her development, what to expect, and forming your goals to meet that. I see so many parents expect too much out of a 2yo - perfect obedience, listening when told the first time, understanding time..- by becoming more in tune with who your daughter is now and her limitations/abilities, you'll be better prepared when you are ready to start formally schooling than if you started with an academic curriculum right now.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”