Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some help with research...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gabrielle Smile This looks helpful too! This is difficult though - I think if I had known that I was going to have to write an argument against homeschooling before I argued for it, I would have found a topic that was easier to argue both sides. Maybe not though - then I would have missed out on the opportunity to argue that homeschooling does work!
Tiarali
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Here you have an excellent argument against homeschooling; if we consider that one of the prime roles of the public education system is to turn our young people into mindless zombies who believe whatever philosophies the government wants them to believe, then daring to teach them anything different would be seen as being divisive; If we do not all believe the same things (and learn them at the exact same time) then we might actually have a democratic society in which alternative views are actually capable of being discussed.

I daresay another related sore point might be that the American homeschooling community is statistically smaller than those who allow their children to enter the traditional schooling system, yet they are highly politically active, and actually have some sway (because of course they are able to think for themselves and fight for their rights to do so).

I think it's also interesting that the non-homeschooling community seem to have a lot of trouble understanding basic statistical data. When you have a sample of between one to two million participants (the American homeschooling community) you will find results that pertain to the majority of the group. Having a personal (biased) experience with a smaller sample that seems to go against the statistical odds means nothing... statistically speaking, homeschooled children have social advantages over their traditionally schooled peers. That doesn't mean that every single homeschooled child is socially advantaged.

If you roll a dice only once, and get a 5, it doesn't mean that you are statistically more likely to get a five than any other number.

Likewise, I've been visiting a pregnancy forum, and it's funny how many women will say something along the lines of, 'well I know that smoking is supposed to be bad for my baby, but I know someone who smoked a pack a day during her pregnancy, and her baby is fine'.

There is evidence to suggest that smoking during pregnancy has the potential to seriously harm your baby. This doesn't mean that every single person who smokes during pregnancy will have a stillborn or smaller baby. All the evidence suggests that homeschooled children have a social advantage over their traditionally schooled peers - doesn't mean every single one does, or that every single public schooled child is a menace.

And it's funny that the author of the essay could be accused of being biased, when she's actually based her essay on the available research results, whereas the accuser has admitted there is no available data to support his views, they are his opinion only.
Mom
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<As a little aside, I find some of the grammar, spelling and overall writing style habits at the forum appalling. You can't tell me that some of this is better than what the average English teacher can provide.>

As a former public high school teacher, I can tell you that the spelling and grammar on this site is not any different, and oftentimes better, than the spelling and grammar public school students are using. The level of English literacy is dropping at an astounding rate. College professors are bemoaning the fact that students are coming to them completely unprepared to put together a cohesive and lucid paragraph. So please do not use this as a reason to go to the public schools. My son was in the public schools and would not have any notion of proper language skills if we at home hadn't drilled it into him.
Tiarali
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Queensland, Australia, they recently announced on the news that the State's Department of Education would bow to parents' wishes and make teachers review grammer. How much simpler it would be if each parent simply taught their own child grammer, rather than relying on a series of unknown strangers to do so!
1littlestudent
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: I'm in the same boat! ; ) Reply with quote

Hi Gabrielle and Grace,
I was homeschooled until I was 16, when I graduated and started college. I am now a sophomore and am also searching for information. I'm writing a comparison/contrast slash argumantative paper on the pros and cons of homeschooling, and I was having the same problems that y'all were. I found a lot of information that was pro homeschool, but couldn't really find a strong anti homeschool argument. The article in Time was helpful. Wink Could y'all find any other good anti homeschool arguments? And how did your papers go, by the way? Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: