Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibly Looking To Start Homeschooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SingDanceRunLife
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Possibly Looking To Start Homeschooling Reply with quote

Hi all.

Let me explain my situation:

I am 16 and currently a high school sophomore in NYS,but I am extremely unhappy in my school (actually,I have been since the 6th grade).I go to a public school,and it's fine and all,but I don't feel like I'm getting what I want out of it.

Homeschooling seems like a good option for a variety of reasons.I could work at my own pace (which would include going faster in English,and slower in math),and have more time to do other things such as dance,and working part time at a daycare (to do this next year,at my public school,I would have to go in a period early and take a class,and not have a lunch period).

I am definitely looking towards attending college,and quite possibly medical school after that.

In terms of homeschooling,I am thinking that I would want to do some classes online,and some by correspondence.The program that I am looking into most is Keystone.I've heard so many great things about it from other dancers,and there are also a wide variety of courses to choose from.Along with that,I know that my credits could be easily transferred to the program,and I also don't need that many more for graduation (8 to be exact).

So,I have a couple of questions:

1. I've looked at all the homeschooling laws for New York,but do they still apply to me as I'm 16,and that is the legal drop out age?
2. How much would my parents be involved in the teaching if I chose to use Keystone or another similar program?
3. Is using a program such as Keystone better than creating a curriculum?
4. Could I start homeschooling this summer and get a jump start on next year?

I think that's all for now.

Thanks!
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The law says "until the last day of session in the school year in which the minor becomes sixteen years of age", so you're good as soon as you hit summer vacation, which should be right around now?

2. With high school, you generally do things mostly on your own and only ask for help if it's something you can't figure out. Even for those things, you can take community college courses. I took a Calculus III course at our local community college, and my siblings have done lab courses there as well.

3. High school courses are narrowed down and specialized quite a bit, you probably want to be working from a plan rather than just diving in at random. That doesn't mean you have to buy a packaged curriculum, however - you can download a college syllabus online, buy a used copy of the recommended textbook, then test out using AP, CLEP, DSST, or even portfolio review (depending on your college). It all depends on how much money you can afford to spend and what your learning style is. I personally prefer to do things by the course.

4. You can homeschool year-round if you choose, that means you can get more done per year in less time per day. If you can finish all your schoolwork in 3 hours or less, then you have all the rest of your time open for dancing or any other extracurriculars you enjoy. Many actors, athletes, etc. homeschool or use tutors to maximize their time efficiency.
SingDanceRunLife
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response!

My last day of classes is Monday,and my last exam is next Friday.So then does that mean that I could,if I felt like it start homeschooling pretty much immediately without having to report and whatever to my school district?
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be free and clear after classes end, yes.
SingDanceRunLife
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I'm thinking of taking an easy class or two over the summer just to get some credits out of the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: