Math U See?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kirkendallclan
User

Math U See?

Postby kirkendallclan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:51 pm

I have a 13 year old daughter that asked to be HSed. We are suffering in Math and I think she would do well with a more hands on "why" approach.
What do you all think of MAth U See?

Princess_Fyara
User

Postby Princess_Fyara » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:02 pm

I haven't heard of it, but I thought I would share with you a quiz site that has helped my 13 year old brother with his Math. :) http://www.thatquiz.com

Life2me
User

Postby Life2me » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:16 pm

I have a friend who has been using it for years and loves it. I am in the process of looking into it via their web site. It looks like we will be getting it as well. If you have not seen their web you really should go and down load all the samples and information on each level. The web site is mathusee.com. You really should go if you are interested in the curric. :D

janet
User

Math u see

Postby janet » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:26 pm

My daughter began struggling with math this past year. She is 11. We went ahead and started with Alpha in the fall and she's just completed Gamma. She loves it and best of all she's understanding math. Its well worth the money! You can order a demo DVD for free. We tried school of tomorrow, horizons, and abeka. Math U See has worked out for us the best. Be warned that the concepts are very different from what we learned in public school.

Tiarali
User

Postby Tiarali » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:39 am

We were going to use the ACE curriculum, but found out that the maths component wasn't up to Australian University entrance standards. Now we're looking at other options - Math-U-See is on offer here. My husband wasn't too keen until he actually looked at, and recognised, the brochure - turns out he had a great experience with it at uni (he said he finally really understood fractions). So now I actually have his support on that choice, at least.

Caryn in SC
User

Postby Caryn in SC » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:02 am

We have used MUS since Kindergarten, and really like it (my dd is in 2nd grade right now). We actually just finished ALPHA not too long ago (started in the 1st grade and finished about halfway in the 2nd) because my daughter had a hard time getting her addition facts down cold. It was kind of discouraging at the time--I felt like she was "behind" other children her age. Boy, am I glad we took the time to really get those facts down! We are breezing through Beta because everything is so much easier when you know your math facts! I have noticed that the children that I felt were "ahead" can only do math if they are sitting down and concentrating, but dd can actually pull up her facts mentally and use them in more "day-to-day" ways.
Caryn in SC

birdy
User

Young students, but we love it...

Postby birdy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:09 pm

I got hooked on MUS from a veteran homeschooling mom of 9. Our children are 6 and 4. We simply love it!

What I particularily like is that you do really get those "aha!" moments from your children. And, so far, we've been able to keep it fun and they are completely excited about math. To the point that I have to physically tell them no more.

wvrobin
User

I AM GOING TO USE THE MATH-U-SEE THIS YEAR WHEN I HS.

Postby wvrobin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:58 pm

homeschooledguy
User

Postby homeschooledguy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:34 am

" Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. "
-- Roger Lewin

Vicky
User

Math-U-See

Postby Vicky » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:37 pm

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”