Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History and Geography - What do I need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HSing for Christ
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: History and Geography - What do I need? Reply with quote

I have everything else picked out, but when it comes to this, I'm not finding anything that has "That special something". What are you using? I do want a Christ based curriculum. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
Laura

4given
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used AOP LifePacs for Hist/Geo for 2 years now. We have no complaints, thus far. Unit Studies seem to work well for us. My 5th grader has studied American History this year, beginning with the first colonies all the way to Vietnam War, and so on. The curriculum is void of any liberal or conservative slant. It paints the picture showing the good and bad of either side. And "good and bad" is based upon Biblical principles, not any other agenda.

Hope this helps.
HSing for Christ
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll look in to it.
Laura
Vera
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've started using Mystery of History volume 1. It is pretty good for history and involves some geography in it. It can be used for various ages. Study biblical and world history in chronological order.
HSing for Christ
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vera.

Has anyone used BJU's Heritage Studies? If so what are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Laura

elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSing for Christ wrote:
Thanks Vera.

Has anyone used BJU's Heritage Studies? If so what are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Laura

BJUP's materials are pretty decent, but for little dc, I don't think textbooks are the best way to go. I'd be more inclined to do something written specifically for homeschooled dc, such as Mystery of History, or Beautiful Feet Books study guides (probably the geography one), or even, because of your dc's ages, reading historical fiction. I love American history, so I'd probably go with Jean Fritz's Revolution-era books, and Robert Lawson's books (Mr. Revere and I, Ben and Me), and so on.
HSing for Christ
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks elliemaejune,

I really like the look of the Mystery of History. How does it stand on the geography end?

Laura
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSing for Christ wrote:
Thanks elliemaejune,

I really like the look of the Mystery of History. How does it stand on the geography end?

I haven't used it, but just looking through the Web site, there doesn't seem to be a LOT of geography. OTOH, your dc are young, so the geography in MOH is probably enough for their ages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: