Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What room do you HS in?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momof4
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: What room do you HS in? Reply with quote

Hi there!
I was wondering what room in your home do you sit down and do school work? Do you HS in the kitchen, den, or other area in your home?
I will be HSing in our kitchen. We have a large kitchen with several work spaces and room to put a chalkboard and other materail. We also have lots of bookshelves and cabinets to keep the books and craft items.
Also what else do you keep in your HS area?
Would love to hear from you all!!
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we only had 2 children, we had a spare bedroom with lots of windows. It made a great classroom. Now that we have 4, part of our family room is a designated school area. We have a table with four chairs as a desk, a computer on a separate desk, and totes for each child to store his materials. When a child is doing independent reading for a particular subject, he is allowed to go sprawl out on his own bed. My husband would prefer a separate room as our "classroom". He thinks we're messy. If only he saw just moments before he walked in the door...his perspective would be very different Laughing We're not that messy. My husband is on the edge of being a neatfreak. When we have company, they always comment on how well organized things appear.

Sheila-HSmom to 4
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a spare bedroom set up as the play/school room but we don't do school in there much. We do school in the living room at the coffee table or outside if it's a nice day. In the winter, we do schoolwork downstairs by the fireplace since I keep the rest of the house cold. The room is really just to store toys and schoolstuff so it doesn't look like a toybox exploded in the rest of the house.
keptwoman
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a L shaped kitchen, the corner of the L is the kitchen, one end is the family room and the other end is the school room, we have desks, cupboards, shelves and a whiteboard. It doesn't really get messy, big cupboards keep the clutter away and we keep it pretty tidy by cleaning up at the end of each day and a big clean on a saturday morning.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 kids and we live in a small 2 bedroom apartment. I homeschool at the table because there simply isn't room anywhere else! I don't mind though. It's cozy.
momto4
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we only had 2 children and had just started homeschooling I had the luxury of a "spare bedroom" to homeschool in. We had bulletin boards, a chalkboard and all kinds of posters. Oh for those days lol. Now we are squeezing 6 people into a 3 bedroom home and use the dining room for our schooling. In it we have our computer desk, the dining table (I think, haven't actually seen it in a while lol), a small chalkboard and a few posters scattered around. But there is a large window that provides lots of natural light so we like it.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually we use the kitchen as a base of operations,
and branch out from there. Smile

mark
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living room for us, if we don't have things we have to do on the computer.
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE have a sunroom that we use as a homeschool room, but we often use the dining room table when we are all doing something together. It is nice to have a place to keep everything and a designated place to leave the papers and creations that the children make, so that they aren't EVERYWHERE!!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
andall
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do all our school work in the dinning room for now. I am planning to put each of them in their own room because they argue too much when they are together.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What room do you HS in? Reply with quote

We start out in the living room if I'm feeling up to it, otherwise we start on my bed. Then there are days when we start in the family room downstairs because I want to use a video at the beginning or to include Dad. And it's less common now, but in years past we have sometimes started the schoolday in the van while on the way to our first activity of the morning.

I have the kids do a lot of work with me on my bed. That way I can rest whenever I need to. (I've been either pg or nursing for over 7 years in a row now, and that is only with my youngest kids.)

On nice days like today, we do as much as we can outdoors.

While they eat lunch I read aloud. Usually I lie on the living room couch, which is right next to the kitchen/dining room.

We have lots of our school supplies in the family room. I also keep a set of shelves with one shelf for each child in my room next to my bed. Then we have a large bookcase with one shelf per child in a wasted bend of the hallway across from my bedroom door. Each child keeps some school things in his/her bedroom. And a few books are in the living room because they have overflowed the family room. Very Happy

Ramona
HSing 6 kids for 12+ years and #7 on the way Smile
momofmy3kids
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will have a "schoolroom" in our basement when we move back in. I splurged and bought a library table that will grow with the kids & has 3 shelves underneath to keep their own supplies (their idea Smile ).

I think we will spend half our time in there. If I have to guess...we will spend the majority of our time, in the family room on the couch, in the garage (going to be turned into our gym & art area YAAAAH, no more messies in my house) or outside. Especially this summer, I'm homeschooling outside on the lawn LOL!
Jana2002
User

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: The world is our schoolroom. Reply with quote

My children are young (3 and 5 this coming August), so we tend to just do whatever we are doing and learn from it as opposed to having a place to go to learn. Naturally, when they are older we will have a different setup as well but we will be moving before that time so who knows.

As for now we use the garden, the backyard, the orchard where we live, the living area, the car, museums etc. We have books EVERYWHERE and we read while we eat breakfast or while we wait for swim coach to come and do lessons in the pool. We read while going potty.........I kid you not they want a story while they do number two and we end up having some sort of conversation about it.....lol We read in the morning, at nap and at night before we wrestle or tickle.

We have a playset with two levels above ground and when it is cool enough out (we live in Arizona) we will be studying the stars and reading by flashlight or lantern. Sometimes we hang in bed and read or do stories on the public library site which are automated. Sometimes we listen to old radio stories on the computer and they watch the screen saver which is pictures of them over the years.

I really cherish the flexibility we have right now since they are so young. They have a desk which is usually in my office but sitting in the living area now, and they color and draw a little on that. They are not so keen on anything formal so we don't so that right now. If they ask.....we will. Otherwise we will just play and incorporate some things to learn in our play until we are a little bit older.

We create stories in the car about the boys and the purple caterpillar they created and we drive to see my parents 40 minutes away and have great adventures where we start a story and everyone adds to it as we go along.

I don't see a specific "place" we will be learning. I like the idea we can move from place to place as long as it works for us.

They don't play on the computer or have electronic games. TV is limited to some select videos and some taped shows that are appropriate for their ages. TV is a constant battle because they always want to watch something and since tv has always been limited I am amazed this could happen. Same as with sweets though......sometimes I feel like letting them get a bellyache just so I don't have to hear "may I have a treat" after every meal.

Most of the time we are off having an adventure....we belong to the zoo, science center, botanical gardens, use the library, have homeschool group we play with once a week, spend time with family and friends, bake and cook alot which means lots of trips to the farmer's market which is year round here and the grocery store. We are in a homeschool sports group and I take them to the gym with me and let them play in the child care area. We still nap (mostly just my youngest) so we usually have an early start and then have an afternoon swim (in season) or a game of tag or hide and seek outside after dinner.

I am seriously wondering how we will ever fit in something more formal. We like to play..........

jana
Nitowlkat
User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good question. When I first started homeschooling when my now 19 year old was just 7 we homeschooled in the office area, and kitchen table I was trying to be extremely organized. These were great places for both my then 7 & 5 year old boys to study because I was able to corral my then 3-year-old girl in the living room/small play area that we had.
Once, I was teaching all three children at the same time, and was blessed to have the place to do it. We set up a schoolroom in the garage. The kids loved this because at the time we were living with their Grandma while DH finished out his tour of duty in the navy over in the gulf.
Later on we set up a school area in a den area where the kids could all sprawl out, and I was able to be close by to help when needed. For the most part I was right there with them as three kids can get sidetracked easily either with what type of pranks they are going to pull. Science seemed to give each one of them many ideas at things they could pull. Or they would be helping each other with subjects that went off into some interesting conversations which was great, but they would become massively side track and not accomplish what was set out for the day. Or as I’m sure everyone has either dealt if they have more then one child computation of who could do it better, which ended up with Mom having to stop the very LOUD discussion before it turned into a fight.

Now that my old is taking a GED coarse at our local college my two youngest now 17 & 15 are at the point where they are for the most self taught can be found all over the place. They are either in their rooms, in the office area, in the living room, and have been know to study outside. I have learned that it’s easier now to let them study where they feel comfortable, and they seem to thrive.

All this to say: don’t get stuck at where to do school, do what works for you. I have found that what works for one homeschooling family doesn’t always work for the other. Along with what works for one child never seems to work to the other child.
Kathy, who has been homeschooling for a lifetime.
HSing for Christ
User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My precious DH built us a room in our basebent. It is great! I have a desk and the kids each have their own. We have built-in cabinets and several bookcases. A dry erase board. I'm sure I will add more, but for now it's enough. Plus I have room to scrapbook as they work, but I'm still right there to answer any questions. The best set-up for us right now.
Laura
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> A Day at Our House All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: