Homeschooling for the right reasons?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

SSmith1986
User

Homeschooling for the right reasons?

Postby SSmith1986 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:42 pm

I am new to this board as well as homeschooling, I started homeschooling my brother as of 11/01/05, He is in 2nd grade and he has always been in a public school with no problems, besides his kindergarten year when he was diagnosed with severe ADHD. He has never been picked on. But I am only 20 years old, and I had to move into the city, a nice area just a horrific school system compared to the county system. ( Baltimore Maryland) I never even enrolled him at the city school, when I went there and saw how bad it was. I called the public school system to find out about homeschooling. And signed him up immediately. He does very well with the homeschooling. He has a social life with friends. He is on a bowling league. So he gets to mingle with people his age there also. I guess I feel bad because sometimes (once in a great while) he will say he wants to be in regular school again. Am I making the right decision? The school he would go to is so downhill is unbelievable. Along with the entire city school system here in Baltimore. I have great text books that I ordered from Scott Foresman, a very nice classroom, and he seems to do a lot better with the one on one learning atmosphere. My goal is to one day be back in the county, so he can go to back to public school. Is that going to be too big of change for him though? I would say by 4th grade we should be back in the county. So it would only be 2 years out of public school. Can anyone offer advice?
Torn in Maryland
Shannon
Shannon

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:37 pm

I'm a big city girl and honestly, I'm always offended by people who seem to think school is going to be "ok" or "better" in the country. Some great people come out of both enviroments - and some badly educated people come out of both.

I'm with Sherlock Holmes when he said there is more evil in the smiling countryside than in the city.

Homeschooling is a lifestyle choice - as I'm sure you've found out. As long as the student is exceling, then you shouldn't feel guilty.

SophiesMom
User

Postby SophiesMom » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:42 pm

I agree with Tabz about city vs. country. In fact, most city schools have better statistics than the small country ones, which is why I want to homeschool my daughter. Understandably, you don't have to worry as much about gangs, weapons and possibly drugs, but in small country schools, the teachers are sometimes underqualified and the funds they receive are minimal.
Amie and Sophie

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:15 pm

country isn't all that bad. country schools tend to be more open to helping you. my son has a lot of special ed classes he still has at the public school. one hour a day. they were very open to cooperating with me. i don't know if a city school would be so willing.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

SSmith1986
User

County not Country

Postby SSmith1986 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks for the replies but I said County not Country, and if you read the reviews for the Baltimore City School System, most of the city is below average, and the city school system is underfunded. I attended city school for 2 years in middle school, and cried everyday that I had to go. It is by far a diffrent class of people, with different morals and values, then what he is used to. The school that he would attend would be Morrell Park School. Feel Free to look at the reviews.
Shannon

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:46 am

:oops: Sorry about that I guess we got carried away a bit. I think you are doing the right thing. Keep him out of a place where he might be in danger. you did a great thing by researching the school and I can tell you are an active advocate for your brother and that is what counts, trust your instincts and you'll know what to do.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

judygray842
User

Postby judygray842 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:59 pm

That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”