Music and brain development

The arts are sometimes overlooked, but they're a valuable part of culture and history.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Joy
User

Music and brain development

Postby Joy » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:29 pm

Hi,

I'd love to host a forum as an expert on music and brain development, particularly as it relates to language development in early childhood.

Joy
Joy Sikorski, M.A.
singbabysing.com
youtube.com/singbabysing

singing and speech...both from the same areas of the brain...both easy to train

Theodore

Can you state and defend your viewpoint?

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:49 am

Haven't some new studies demonstrated that playing classical music only helps as long as the music is actually playing, and the effects quickly wear off when it stops? Are the rules different for young children? I'd think that reading to your children would be more effective for building early language patterns. Can you state and defend your viewpoint?

Yes, we can make a board for music and brain development, though we may be switching our Experts boards to subject boards and just having one or two capable people be moderators for each one. This will allow us to open boards for subjects we don't currently have experts for, though our moderators would still be able to post bios, and moderators who proved competency could be awarded a special title.

Joy
User

Postby Joy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:37 pm

The best way I can answer your question is to give you a link to a 2002 neuroscience symposium that discusses this subject in detail. It is only one of many such links to the credible research that has been done and continues to be done around the world regarding music and language development.

http://www.bethabe.org/2002_Symposium_Summa154.html

Here is just one abbreviated quote from that link pertaining to work done by Dr. Aniruddh Patel (Neuroscience Institute - La Jolla, California)

"Dr. Patel presents recent studies that challenge the traditional view of language and music as being independent brain functions, and suggest that the two can involve similar brain areas and functions. Through a series of systematically conducted investigations, using EEG and brain imaging techniques, he attempts to establish neurocognitive basis of commonality between the syntactic processing of music and that of language. ..the MRI study revealed that the electrical responses shared for language and music were localized to the Broca’s area...similarly, the fMRI study showed that the entire brain network activated by music largely shared with one that is responsible for language processing. These findings strongly suggest that musical syntax is processed in the brain areas and through their networks that are known to be involved in processing linguistic syntax."

In regards to reading and related language skills, other similar studies show that a child will learn to speak according to the sounds he or she hears. Infant directed speech, or "parentese" has been found to closely resemble singing patterns and infant responses to this type of "singing-speech" indicate that ear training is an integral part of all language development skills. This has to do with how neural connections (ganglia) form and grow (even in the womb in response to music and the mother's voice).

But that's enough data for now.

The wonderful thing is that this information does not have to be inaccessible to non-musicians or non-singers or homeschoolers.

Thanks for your willingness to consider new ideas for new boards.

Joy
Joy Sikorski, M.A.

singbabysing.com

youtube.com/singbabysing

singing and speech...both from the same areas of the brain...both easy to train

Theodore

The question is, do music and language use the same...

Postby Theodore » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:36 pm

That's interesting. The question is, do music and language use the same brain patterns or just the same sections of the brain, and are the changes in language ability temporary or permanent? I would debate that what classical music does is not so much build language skills, as filter out extraneous thought by moving the majority of your brain impulses into the language areas of your brain. This would explain how you can see immediate, significant changes in IQ while classical music is being played - your mind just isn't going off on as many tangents.

Are there any studies which check if musical ability corresponds in any way to verbal ability, and vice versa?

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri May 11, 2007 7:09 pm

Just some random thought here..
I tend to consider music to be a language.
To the point that I have been known to play my prayers on a flute
when I am beyond words.

I don't know about those studies, but I do know that it is very helpful
for those on the autism spectrum to be able to make music.
Amazingly enough, piano seems to have the most benefit.
(now if only I had time to learn that one.. ) :)

mark

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri May 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Probably because a well-tuned piano always plays the notes properly :) Try that with a violin or saxophone...

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed May 16, 2007 11:52 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 am

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri May 18, 2007 12:08 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat May 19, 2007 7:18 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

scriptproducer
User

Music and its Effect on Dogs

Postby scriptproducer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:11 am

Online Film and Media Studies Education: www.youtube.com/stevenbratter

Return to “Music / Art”