Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rigorous online homeschools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeidiL
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Rigorous online homeschools? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm 15 years old and I'm a freshman at a large public high school. (About 2600 students) My school has an excellent academic reputation, with a lot of AP classes. We also have the IB (International Baccalaureate) program, which I've been interested in doing. Right now I'm a freshman and am taking the most difficult possible class load and I will also next year. (1 AP class and an IB prep class, plus 4 other honors classes.) However, I'm really unsatisfied with the public school system right now. I love the rigorous classes, but the teaching style is pretty bad (rote memorization, too much focus on the grade, etc) and I don't like being forced to go with the pace of the rest of the class. Sometimes I want to move on, sometimes I want to slow down and dig a little deeper. I don't feel very safe at school, and since I live in a semi-wealthy suburb, I'm frustrated with all the kids who just get everything they want without working for anything. So, I was thinking a good solution to all this would be an online home-school type thing. Homeschooling has always appealed to me. I've looked at a few, but most of them still don't have the rigorous classes I need right now. Most have Algebra II as the highest level class. I'm taking that right now. I need a homeschool program that goes up to at least Calculus II. I've been looking at Keystone National High School, but it doesn't have rigorous enough classes, especially in math. I'm looking for an online high-school that doesn't require a parent as a teacher-I need one with independent learning. So my question is: Do you know of an online school with more advanced classes, (AP or IB preferably) and what is the website? I was also hoping for a school that doesn't have too high of a tuition fee. Thank you so much for reading this long post!
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest looking into dual enrollment at a college instead of online home schooling.

Good luck to you!

Stellar
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that. Just take courses at your local community college, it's what we did for Precalc and Calculus (up to Calc III).
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course college courses are more expensive than public high school. However you could be earning credit for both!

Stellar
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
Of course college courses are more expensive that public high school. However you could be earning credit for both!

Stellar

Yeah, but she's in Minnesota where we have PSEO, a fully funded program that pays for dual enrollment in college for high school juniors and seniors. See this link for more information:

http://education.state.mn.us/mde/Academic_Excellence/School_Choice/Post_Secondary_Enrollment_Options_PSEO/index.html

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's way cool! Good for you and her!

*smiles*

Stellar
MNKristy
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my daughter will be enrolled in PSEO for her senior year of high school. She will attend a local Christian College for free and complete her last year of high school and first year of college courtesy of the state of Minnesota. It's a pretty awesome deal!

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota here too! I did that for my senior year of high school. It was an awesome experience! Highly, highly recommended!

I did mine at a private college too. Seems like that's a pretty popular thing to do. Get classes at a private college while you can because once PSEO is over, you can't afford it anymore lol.
mom21gr8girl
User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the new Stanford EPGY online high school. It is very rigorous and has many years of university math available. It comes with a hefty price tag, but don't be discouraged. They are also very generous with financial aid. Apply and see what happens!
HeidiL
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for all the replies! College courses do sound like a good option, but I would have to wait until my junior year since I'll be a sophomore next year. My parents and I are still discussing the whole idea of getting out of public school. My mom did bring up one point that I can't think of a solution to- how do you do chemistry labs in homeschool? I'm aiming for a career in veterinary science, so I know biology and chemistry labs are important. There are some good online simulation sites, like oldmanhonda.com, but does online really measure up to the real deal?
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschool groups often pool resources to buy materials that families can't afford on thair own, such as chemistry lab equipment. If that option isn't available to you, I'd personally just take any lab courses at the local community college - the college will charge maybe $300 per course but it saves you an infinite amount of mess and bother trying to collect everything you need on your own. Buying your own lab equipment isn't cost-effective anyhow unless you will be using the same equipment for you plus several siblings.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeidiL wrote:
Thank you so much for all the replies! College courses do sound like a good option, but I would have to wait until my junior year since I'll be a sophomore next year. My parents and I are still discussing the whole idea of getting out of public school. My mom did bring up one point that I can't think of a solution to- how do you do chemistry labs in homeschool? I'm aiming for a career in veterinary science, so I know biology and chemistry labs are important. There are some good online simulation sites, like oldmanhonda.com, but does online really measure up to the real deal?

That site looks pretty cool! I don't know if online labs can really measure up or not but it looks like a lot of good stuff there, for sure!

You can find real chemistry, biology and other lab classes at the following:

Co-ops, Private schools after school hours sometimes have teachers who will teach such a course, Cover schools sometimes provide them, Zoos sometimes provide home school science courses, Science centers and museums sometimes provide home school science courses, you can buy lab stuff and use it at home (if you are careful about costs and equipment and experiments, it doesn't have to cost that much), a local scientist might let you be an assistant, since you are interested in becoming a vet, you could volunteer at a vet's clinic as well btw, and finally, college where you can dual enroll for high school and college credit.

HTH,

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: