Frustration w/public schools and a question(long vent :)

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

novo4
User

Frustration w/public schools and a question(long vent :)

Postby novo4 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:57 am

Heidi

novo4
User

Postby novo4 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:40 am

Heidi

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:20 am

From INCH: Home Education Options Under Michigan Law:

Families choosing to home school under exemption (3)(f) are not required to do any type of reporting to any school official. If you are sent a SM4325 form, you do not have to return it or make any type of response. The MDE has stated that, "If the home school family has not registered, the Department will consider the home school family to be operating under the exemption (f) solely." There is also no law requiring that any information be provided to the local or intermediate school district. Therefore, a home school existing under (3)(f) has no responsibility to provide any information to local school officials.

To begin a home education program you simply begin home schooling. You do NOT have to ask permission, get a license or even a permit. You do NOT have to request a Non-Public School Membership Reporting Form (form SM4325). You must provide your children instruction in the subject areas of Reading, Spelling, Mathematics, Science, History, Civics, Literature, Writing and English Grammar."

Entrance procedures for getting your children back into public school may vary from the school taking your word for it what grade they're in, to testing and placing them in the lowest grade they get for any subject. It all depends on the school, and you probably want to find out what the procedure is well in advance and get it on paper - just in case the school changes its mind later.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:56 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon May 07, 2007 12:39 am

I've known at least one family that was able to home school for a year and return their kids to school with no problems.

I'm not sure what the exact rules for your state would be to get back into school, possibly a placement test of some sort, but I'm sure it's something you could do.

Personally I don't see anyone changing thier minds and going back to public school after trying home school. Then again there are a million ways to home school.

People do get burnt out and are at times so restrictive with their kids that kids don't feel a significant benefit at times, I suppose. I can see that they might therefore wish to return to school. A place that would supervise them less, let the goof off more and require less from them. I guess it depends on the personalities, expectations and curriculum involved.

Good luck!

Let us know how you are doing.

Stellar

Return to “Getting Started”