Middle School Grammar?

Phonics, reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Dolly-VA
User

Middle School Grammar?

Postby Dolly-VA » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:40 am

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:43 am

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:22 am

su
User

Postby su » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:56 pm

Easy Grammar is what I have used with all my kids so far, and I really like it. As the name implies, it is easy. It doesn't take long to do the daily lessons.
Grammar has never been one of my strong points, but I have learned a lot by going through the lessons with my kids (one reason I love homeschooling!)

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:24 pm

su
User

Postby su » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:03 am

1.) The lessons can be as short or as long as you want. I think the book says to do one page a day, although I assign more than that, and if you need to go through it quickly, you could do as many pages as necessary. There is review work at the end of each section, so you can see if the child grasps the info, or if you need to go over it again (if you are covering the material quickly)
2.) My 5th and 7th graders are currently going through it (it does have multitple levels).
3.) If he needs extra work, there is a companion book called Daily Grams. Or you could go through 2 books in double time.
4.) This has covered the material needed for the achievement tests our kids have to take. In Oregon we have to test at 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th grade. We take the California Achievement Test (CAT). You can buy test prep books that can give you an idea what material they need to know.

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:00 am

kkapfe
User

Postby kkapfe » Tue May 01, 2007 11:40 am

su
User

Postby su » Sun May 06, 2007 10:24 pm

Wow...first grade seems awfully young to be doing much in the way of grammar, let alone diagramming! I don't start with much in the way of formal grammar until around 3rd grade or so. They do get a little (very little) grammar in the readers and workbooks we use, but mostly at that age all I focus on is reading (as far as language arts is concerned).

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon May 07, 2007 4:22 am

I'll be honest, I've always found formal grammar instruction horribly boring and pointless. Kids learn it just long enough to pass the test, then promptly forget most of it because they don't need to know what x, y, z parts of speech are in real life. Diagramming is even worse. What is far better than grammar instruction, in my opinion, is just doing some writing / dictation at least every few days. This builds not only grammar skills, but spelling, punctuation, penmanship, etc. If you really must cover grammar separate from everything else, start your child on learning a second language - this teaches grammar far better than any English language text will ever do, since you have to learn the parts of speech to learn a new language, and the material will stick with you a lot better as a result.

I'm speaking from personal experience, since while I'm a decent writer and can rearrange a sentence so it's written properly, I didn't retain anything but the most basic formal grammar. The only time I really learned grammar was when I did two years of Latin.

Diagramming didn't do anything except make me miserable.
Last edited by Theodore on Tue May 08, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

su
User

Postby su » Mon May 07, 2007 4:39 pm

I agree with Theodore for the most part, although I have found that some of what I have learned from teaching my kids grammar has helped me be more aware of proper sentence structure (not that I always use it! :D ). We use Easy Grammar which is, as the name implies, easy. It seems to have taught them what they need to know for the testing we are required to do here in Oregon, and I have a better understanding of grammar for having taught it.

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Tue May 08, 2007 8:15 am

phiferan
User

Postby phiferan » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:05 pm

For grammar, my child loves Winston Grammar, it uses cards that the child manipulates to learn grammar, as well as a workbook. And, just like Saxon Math, it builds on what you learned in the past and reviews it with every new lesson, so you don't forget earlier lessons. It is superior to what is found in the public schools and you easily order the answer keys right on line. :idea: Here is the hyperlink http://www.winstongrammar.com/index.php
Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Matthew 22:39

Return to “Reading, Writing, Language Arts”