curriculum for 6th, 7th & 8th grade?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Skatts
User

curriculum for 6th, 7th & 8th grade?

Postby Skatts » Sat May 05, 2007 12:26 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat May 05, 2007 11:35 pm

there are ways to do things without it all being on the computer and that costly if you want to.

I would give them their assignments at the beginning of the week. They would be expected to do most of their work together or alone and only seek me out if they did not understand what or how to do things.

I would pick curriculum that was supposed to be easy for them to use by themselves and that had as little grading as I was comfortable with.

Write with the Best is for grades 3-12 and is very inexpensive. I would probably not do the dictation part unless you have one of the kids dictate to the other two, each taking turns being the one dictating.

Also I found the color the words grading key a bit odd and wouldn't use that.

Otherwise it was a great program. You simply grade a bit differently based on level and ability. We will be getting Vol 2 this year for use as a reference tool at the very least. My kids now prefer to write what they are interested in. Both are working on books. They still have subject related writing to do though.

Another good writing program we've used is Wordsmith Apprentice (grades 4, 5, and 6), WriteShop I "students may begin at any time between 6th and 10th grade", and Write Shop 2, recommended for grades 8-12. I have not gotten or needed the teacher's manual for these.

Mathematics Made Meaningful With Cuisenaire Rods is for Pre K-8th Grade but I would supplement it with online math drills and some printed math pages online. It is also inexpensive. Again the kids could take turns being the teacher who reads the activity cards freeing you up if needed.

Math U See has a DVD that each could watch for thier grade level and then do the work. Once again, I say take advantage of the kids being so close in age and let them help one another.

Of course they can also help out with the younger kids too.

For History I would like to use the library along with such things as,

Take Five Minutes: A History Fact A Day For Editing which also takes care of DOL.

and:

http://www.holdthatthought.com/hist2.php

and/ or this:

http://writing-edu.com/writing/theme.php#Anchor-GND

Bot of which gets them writing and researching as well.

For science I would use a basic reference book such as one of the coloring books such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0679778845 ... d_i=507846

web sites, labs at science museums or zoos and the library.

I'd make three copies of any pages that were consumable. I'd keep the orginal book clean for the kids that will grow older and be able to use them one day or in case I wanted to sell them.

SOS is something we tried for one subject. It was very encompassing of all subject areas in just that one subject which I did not want or need. I found it to be too demanding even though I could dismiss some of the requirements as the teacher.

I didn't like how often I had to grade things when the box had said I wouldn't. It was very rigid about what answers it would accept. I had to do a lot of review and adjustments.

But, a lot of people (kids and adults) seem to love it.

You have to make your right choices for you and your kids. There are so many ways of doing home school. I'm sure you have a great journey finding out what works for you and yours!

Oh, btw, POC4U (Person Optimized Curricula for You)

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

Was the best buy I ever made at a home school convention. It helped me understand my kids learning styles and introduced me to teaching methods that would help them. Better yet it introduced me to curriculum that would work well for me and them. Much of those I've mentioned above. My kids and I are highly kinesthetic learners but of course, can learn in other ways as well.

HTH,

Stellar

GeekyMom
User

Postby GeekyMom » Sun May 06, 2007 8:00 pm

If I were you I would definately look at SOS for your older children. I'm using Science, History and possibly Bible. I am using a different program for English and Math.

Mathusee has very good reviews and yes, there is the video that would explain concepts. I got the sample video and it was very helpful. I decided to go with Horizons for my 3rd grader, but still considering MUS for my more Math challenged son. I plan to bridge him after he finishes out his 3rd grade year to see what he's lacking then decide on what 4th grade Math curriculum go get him.

My kids are not as old as yours though.

If cost is any concern, Ebay is a good place to look for SOS. If buying used, I would go with 2005 or higher versions that have more of the latest features. The bugs are also more worked out from what I understand. I just purchased SOS Home Ec for my 13 year old (who goes to Private school).

This will be my 1st year too!

All the best to you and the rest of us newbies! :)
Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, an Opportunity!

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”