Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book: Lies My Teacher Told Me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottHughes
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Book: Lies My Teacher Told Me Reply with quote

Have you read the book Lies My Teacher Told Me? I did a while back, and I loved it.

It explores the problems with the way public school teach history - dry Eurocentric facts with idolized heros. It's at least partially the result of textbook publishers making books that sell well rather than books that tell the truth.

Anyway, homeschoolers have the lucky advantage of controlling their own history lessons, so it might be a good read to see what your history curriculum is missing.
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book sounds very interesting. And, yes, I agree, we homeschoolers have a huge advantage in being able to have complete control over our children's education. Thanks for telling us about this book.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from the library this week. I think it's a bit pedantic but also a very interesting book. I'm going to have my kids read it as part of World History because it does show what is generally taught and how that has been skewed right or wrong by the writers and the people who paid them to write the text books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> History All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: