Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Set-up for My Spectrum Daughter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenix_
User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Home Set-up for My Spectrum Daughter Reply with quote

I am looking for some encouragement and basic help with my 4 year old. She is undiagnosed as an Aspergers child, and I am trying to work within her limitations to create a diverse and exciting home study place. I work full-time, so I try to make the very best out of the time I do get with her.

I was hoping to gain some insight on techniques, activities, and setup for a creative learning place within our home, some place she can always go to when it's studying time! Right now she's practicing letters and putting words together. I feel like I just don't know the correct paths to take to make her experiences holistic and engaging.

Can anyone offer some help?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out www.joyceherzog.com she is amazing at being creative with kids and specializes in special ed stuff. My boys love her reading program.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Aspie
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Homeschooling an undiagnosed asperger's child. Reply with quote

I am a diagnosed Asperger's person which you can see from my username.

I am public-schooled but will homeschool any of my future children if and when they occur.

What my teachers did with me is they asked a lot what they said because I would refuse to make eye contact with them a lot of the time. I then proceeded to **** them off because I would repeat it verbatim and they'd just stand there thinking '****, can't tell her off.'.

Interstingly, when I do make eye contact and its always forced, even though no-one asks me what they just said, it's harder to remember because I was concetrating on the social aspects, which as an aspie, is difficult.

So I think the most important thing you can do is refrain from urging/forcing her to make eye contact.

Also, be aware that she may expirence sensory overload or other sensory issues.
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspie raises some good points..

something for you to think about is the incorporation of music
and jingles in the learning process.

you should also start looking into the underlying cause to see if it is
something that can be helped.

If there is an underlying physical issue to resolve, it will make the
social aspects etc, of Aspergers more pronounced.

I'll try to swing through here later to see how it's going.

Mark
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see I'm way late to this thread...

fenix_ if you come through here and read this...

REMEMBER
play to her strengths... and never quit.

mark
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 1/2 year old grandson has recently been diagnosed Autism Spectrum Disorder. The State of MD Infants and Toddlers program has acted quickly to help this little boy. I take of him while his mother works as well as homeschool my own. As a family we have been doing many right things for him, not out of any real knowledge of the disorder, but because we figured out some of what works. The program teachers: OT, speech pathologist, and autism teacher have taught us much more. The teachers come to my house 3 days a week and the little one goes out to a social and motor skills group for one hour twice a week (which he loves). We concentrate on his strengths and work on his weaknesses. His speaking vocabulary is limited to under 10 words, but he enjoys counting numbers and objects speaking the numbers out loud. He is beginning to learn sign language and so are we. Music is beneficial. We sing his name (he doesn't respond to his name), commands (he is almost clueless about commands, except for "Get off that table." and "Get out of the street."), and songs to calm him. He likes to hum and recently he sang a song we recognized. His progress in the last 2.5 months has given us great relief. We have high hopes for this little boy and know that we have been blessed with the talented and compassionate teachers from Infants and Toddlers.
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful. Smile

and as he gets older, point him at some musical instruments to
make his own music with. Smile

meanwhile, keep on keeping on since it looks like you are on the right track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: