How do you organize your learning/play space?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

papooses
User

How do you organize your learning/play space?

Postby papooses » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:06 pm

We have so many books (equal to 1/2 of all we own, LOL) -- I've donated a bunch of the more "babyish" board books as well as some of my less interesting text books (I don't like to sell them back because I continue to referrence them).... Some of Leila's books are handed down from my childhood, her 1 dozen cousins + her 2 half siblings *WHEW* They're organized in a way that allows them to fit on the shelves easily with those for her age range at her reach, but I'm thinking of reorganizing them by topic instead. I'm going to try using our collection of canvas bags for those we'll use most -- to make it easier to bring them along with us where ever we go.

The house is up for sale, though, so I can't exactly recreate every room into a fun house for learning as I'd like (our last house had a play room with magnetic chalk board painted walls & both miss it!) We're cramped for space as far as the creative outlet indoors + we've got to keep the majority of the house looking "show worthy" @@ I keep getting hints of ideas for how to set things up so that we can easily access anything we would like for any given activity, but then I lose the mental image -- any ideas???

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:31 am

As for the books, I've found that storing them and changing them once a month works really well. That way the sheer number of them isn't so overwhelming, and you can have your child help pick them out, it will be like Christmas once a month.

Those storage drawers are great for the other stuff. Label the drawers with pictures and words, Paper, coloring, Science, ..... that way you are helping her reading and language skills too.

Hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri May 04, 2007 6:04 pm

Return to “Getting Started”