need help with laws regarding withdrawing dd from high schoo

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ccrdh82
User

need help with laws regarding withdrawing dd from high schoo

Postby ccrdh82 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:12 am

I am new to homeschooling and am taking my daughter out of 9th grade to homeschool. She is currently 16.5 years old. It was my understanding that in MA she is passed the compulsory age and I shouldn't have to submit a curriculum plan or have anything to do with them. Not that I'm totally opposed but I would like to stick to the state guidelines. I'm under the impression that they are not totally familiar with the laws. The guidance counsellor has informed me that I will have to fill out papers and submit her work for review to them and they would grant her a diploma at the end of her senior year. I thought I didn't have to do that and would be free to teach her at her own pace and own way while still fulfilling state requirements. If anyone has had similliar situations any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows any websites where I could find the law for MA so I could bring a copy with me when I go to the school that would be great. Thanks
momof4teens

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri May 04, 2007 10:28 am

http://www.doe.mass.edu/lawsregs/603cmr ... section=02 specifies minimum age, but I can't seem to find the exact location of the law for maximum age. However, the age of consent in MA is 16 (search for "Massachusetts" and "16 years of age" in Google), and HSLDA says the law can be found in: Mass. Regs. Code tit. 603, § 8.02. Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 76, § 1.

Yes, you can just pull her out and finish the high school requirements for MA on your own to your own satisfaction.

ccrdh82
User

withdrawing 16 y.o from high school

Postby ccrdh82 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:00 am

thanks so much!
momof4teens

Return to “Homeschool Law”