Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lunch Time!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Lunch Time! Reply with quote

Since this is the Just for Chat area, I decided to ask what my kids ask me EVERY SINGLE DAY. What's for lunch?! (Because, obviously, all that brain work turns them into ravenous beasts.) We're kind of in a rut so I'm hoping for inspiration.

Our typical lunch menus are (this has been the daily lunch meal for the last 2-3 WEEKS Shocked ):

9 yo dd: pizza rollups (soft corn tortillas heated, with provolone, rolled up and pizza sauce for dipping), an apple or orange and maybe something munchy (chips, popcorn, etc.)

12 yo ds: a mound of thin sliced ham (on a plate), a couple jelly rollups (soft corn tortillas heated, jelly spread and rolled up), and 2-3 containers of apple sauce.

mom: whatever's left over (or I graze...bad bad bad! Embarassed )
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

left overs. Smile
or sandwiches made from whatever we have that
they're not allergic to.. Smile

although today it won't be anything cause we took the day to sleep in
and had a really late breakfast. Smile

I honestly do try to see to it that I cook enough at dinner to make
sure there are plenty of leftovers for my teen-buzzard to devour
at lunch, before he sets off into rice bread and cashew butter sandwiches.

our daughter, on the other hand has fewwer restrictions on her diet so
it can be quite varied, up to and including her just grabbing some fruit
while she works.

mark
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always on the lookout for new, fun lunch ideas. Our mainstays around here are hot dogs, spaghetti, soup and rice crackers, and pb & j rice crackers. Neither of my sons can have gluten (anything made from wheat, barley, rye and spelt) and my youngest cannot have dairy so that slims down our options quite a bit. They seem pretty happy with our usual cycle, but something to shake things up never hurts.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something for you that I have found..
there is a form of rice flour that is a "glutenous rice"

the gluten is different enough that my kids can have it, but it helps
rice flour baking immensely.

one of the most aggravating parts of losing wheat was trying to get
baked goods to turn out right. This helps hold everything together. Smile

mark
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard of that. I haven't tried it yet though. Oddly enough, I've not had that much difficulty getting baked goods to come out - I spend a lot of time playing with recipes. I've had more luck modifying gluten-filled recipes than using gluten free recipes to start. We rarely eat bread around here, but I get a bread mix at the store that is really good and you can't tell it's gluten free. I make a killer chocolate cake that gets wolfed down even by people who don't have to be GF - nobody can tell the difference.
angw8
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lunch at home ,we most frequently eat a meal with organic wholemeal corn chips covered generously by a big raw salad with a vegan dressing over it all.
This is my favourite and very nutritious .
I make the salad using my food processor ,so it is real quick too.
I put lots of raw onions in it and rub salt into them ,the European way so that the bite is gone.Also carrots which I slice in the food processor rather than grate .Other vegies are often cucumbers,tomatos ,capsicums (you call them bell peppers) etc

I was reading a book recently by a man called Dr Weston Price about the consequences of the western diet .The low level of vitamins and minerals result in seriuos physical and mental health problems.

It is best to eat food that is unprocessed and to cut out completely white flour products and sugar.We try to eat as much raw fruit and vegies as possible.

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'd not been online in a while. Thanks for the tips!

Oh, and, btw, my entire family is gluten intolerant!!! Thus, the soft corn tortilla roll-ups. Also, I make a great loaf of bread, but am just lazy these days. Muffins, dinner rolls, cupcakes, cakes, cookies...all the stuff that turns someone from being unable to digest anything into needing to go on a diet, lol!

Anyway, I just found it interesting that there are others on the board who lead a gf lifestyle as well. Wink
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter likes morning star farms chicken nuggets right now.

Son likes a veja link.

I like a big frank.

That's when we are home.

Stellar
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lunch Time! Reply with quote

A corned beef sandwich with cheese melted over, canned soup, a quesadilla, or pb&j.

Ramona
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to struggle so much with "What shall we have for lunch today?" Now we have the same thing on Monday, same thing on Tuesday etc. I do the same for breakfast. I only had to come up with five ideas and just have to remember which one to have on which day of the week. Very Happy
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Kimberly, that sounds like a great plan! I think I may steal it. Wink
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steal away, Dolly! Wink I am flattered that I actually had an idea someone felt they could use. Very Happy
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimberly we do almost the same thing.
Monday - PB and J
Tuesday - Soup and Salad
Wed - PB and J
Thursday - Soup and Salad
Friday - PB and J

Sometimes we change PB and J to another kind of sandwitch.

All meals are served with fruit and veggie
Kimberly
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your lunches, Nettie. I see you rely heavily on PB&J sandwhiches, too. Very Happy

Here is ours:

Monday: PB&J
Tuesday: Raimen noodles
Wedndesday: PB&J
Thursday: mac & cheese
Friday: pancakes (cooked by oldest son)

We also serve each meal with fruit and sometimes a salad. On Friday we have a half day of school and then have family time since my husband has the day off.
iamnettie
User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimberly wrote:
Thanks for sharing your lunches, Nettie. I see you rely heavily on PB&J sandwhiches, too. Very Happy

Yes if you ask my kids what they want they want PB&J......and according to my trainer it is a good choice. We use whole wheat high fiber bread, low fat peanut butter and jelly that is home made so it is really a good choice in our house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: