Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What, Where and How Much?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3GiftsFromGod
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: What, Where and How Much? Reply with quote

I know I know the dreaded " I am new here" message...but yes.....I am new here and new to home schooling. I am feeling overwhelmed! I have worn out my library card getting books about HSing and I have worn out google too! I have a 4 yo and a 2 yo, I want to start the 4 yo in preschool type HSing. I feel blessed because I have the opportunity to "play" with curriculum ideas and learning/teaching methods. The only thing is, like most of you, I do not have a lot of money to "play" with. I am willing to go to the library and even get creative to teach my DD anything she needs to know! So, what I am getting at is I am new and I need some suggestions on what to use and how much to expect to spend!
Also on the money thing, we could enroll DD in a online public school that is free with free everything.....is this a good idea?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the public school on line thing. My boys would like it because they like to learn about what they are interested in, at this age it works out better for them. THey learn that learning is fun.

AS far as experimenting and having no money, i can totally relate! The best source for 2 and 4yo is the internet. YOu can find sample pages, handwriting pages, and all kinds of wonderful things for free or next to nothing. Let me know what you are interested in and i can get addresses.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
WAHMBrenda
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. It sounds as though you would find unschooling the best for you right now. Take time to get to know your dd and her learning style before jumping into anything. Unschooling will give you time for this.
3GiftsFromGod
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo3boys wrote:

AS far as experimenting and having no money, i can totally relate! The best source for 2 and 4yo is the internet. YOu can find sample pages, handwriting pages, and all kinds of wonderful things for free or next to nothing. Let me know what you are interested in and i can get addresses.

I have found some of those sample page sites for free (thank you) ....do I need to start anything with phonics? I found the McGuffey books those looked unique or "old-school". I guess I need to figure out what to expect from her in the school year and expect no more! I may be jumping the gun a bit!

Also, on the unschooling thing....I guess I do not get it. I am assuming it is just living everyday life and using those everyday moments to teach her about life. But, I know she needs to learn to read and do her math etc. So, how do you work those very schoolish things in to unschooling?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Math is everywhere, and i love to show my children that. COunt the dishes as you do them, how many are in the sink, how many are in the cabinet? Measure things, make pizza and divide it up so everyone has the same amount. You can also use a work book, but for children so young, just find math and reading wherever you go. Read signs, read together, ler he pick out a few words at a time, teach her "I" and "A" and let her find them on the pages. READ< READ< READ!! LEt her find you reading by yourself, and to her sister. You can also get some preschool workbooks pretty cheap at walmart or Barnes and noble. Otherwise just let her explore.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
easyhomeschooling
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: No to public school option Reply with quote

I would say no to the option to do the public school route. Things can be simple, really. I think you have info overload . All you really need to be doing at this point is reading to your children. If they want to tell back while you write their narrations down, all the better.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to spend much at that education level. With print outs from the internet and library materials that might be all you need.

If you want more, you could get a simple curriculum like five in a row and/or a pre school book from the parent teacher store. Those cost like $20.00, I think.

Stellar
easyhomeschooling
User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What, Where and How Much? Reply with quote

2GiftsFromGod wrote:
I know I know the dreaded " I am new here" message...but yes.....I am new here and new to home schooling. I am feeling overwhelmed! I have worn out my library card getting books about HSing and I have worn out google too! I have a 4 yo and a 2 yo, I want to start the 4 yo in preschool type HSing. I feel blessed because I have the opportunity to "play" with curriculum ideas and learning/teaching methods. The only thing is, like most of you, I do not have a lot of money to "play" with. I am willing to go to the library and even get creative to teach my DD anything she needs to know! So, what I am getting at is I am new and I need some suggestions on what to use and how much to expect to spend!
Also on the money thing, we could enroll DD in a online public school that is free with free everything.....is this a good idea?

Ok here goes. Slow down. You really do not have to spend anything at this point. Use the library, but this time to get books to read aloud which is the first and best activity, very foundational to all learning. No to online schools IMHO, especially for such a young child. More than anything a young child needs to play, to be read to and especially to spend time with you, learning by doing, such things as cooking and baking. Smile
Calla_Dragon
User

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid public school online, if I were you. Many homeschoolers have dissatisfaction with the education of the public school system as a reason for homeschooling. The education isn't any better just because it's online.

At this age, I would unschool. Use every situation as a learning opportunity and read everything you guys can get your hands on. My youngest is 4 and I JUST started teaching him things like his colors, letters, numbers and shapes but I don't use a formalized curriculum. We use real life and toys.

Too much formal work and pushing a child too hard, too fast at this age can lead to burn out at a later age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: