Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP Teen not doing her work like she is sopose to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vomo
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: HELP Teen not doing her work like she is sopose to Reply with quote

My teen is being wishy washy with her work.. I pulled her out of public school after much research and living H3!! from the public schooling. I feel like I didn't notice in time what was going on. She wasn't learning any thing and is way behind in a lot of areas. I'm having issues with getting her to do her work in a timely manner. At first she was doing well but now she is dragging it out. It has been a few months since I have pulled her out of public school but she is like about 2 weeks behind in the work I feel she should be at. And what I have paced & planned out for. I wonder if I’m not being patient enough, have I chosen the wrong curriculum. ACE pace pacs, am I not the right person to be teaching her. Am I not being encouraging enough? What? :0( I so want to give her a better education. a better future a better life and so much more! I’m starting to wonder if I’m to late. But I’m not going to give up just yet. I could use some advice on getting th e work done in a timely matter with less procatination.
Thanks

Last edited by Vomo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Vomo
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: a little extra info Reply with quote

she is 15 and 8th grade. I started back at the begining of 8th grade when I pulled her out so that she could get a lot of what she is lacking in skills
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a nice long talk back and forth with her. This is her education. She needs to take some responsibility for it. If you listen to each other and pick out next year's curriculum together I think it will be a better year for you both.

It's easy to feel like we are falling behind but remember public schools waste a great deal of time during any given day. They rarely finish all of any given book they use for curriculum. Sometimes you just have to give yourself and your teen a break.

My teen tends to shut down a couple of times a year. I try to plan something new starting up that she can look forward to at those times and give her some room. Fortunately, she really cares about her work and will get caught back up in a few weeks.

One thing I did early on was hand them our schedule from the start of school until standardized testing. Then I gave them their curriculum. their first assignment was to tell me how much they needed to get done each day.

I don't care when they do things as long as it's a A or B. I don't care if they want to skip a particular subject for a day or two and concentrate on another, as long as most of the work is done in one week.

Our deal is that they can keep any schedule they want if they turn in a good days work by 5 pm, which gives me time to look over or grade the stuff if I need to.

If they get a weeks work done in one day, they can have the rest of the week off. If they don't get it done in the week they are supposed to, they have a set bed time and suffer the consequences of losing their favorite privileges.

I try not to worry about the small stuff.

If they have an assignment that I find they can't do, then we have to work on learning the building blocks of that assignment and come back to it later. Early on my son couldn't do written reports. I had to guide him through how to do it. I started out typing it up while he dictated. Each year he has had to do longer and longer reports doing more and more of the work himself.

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: