Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to convince my parents to homeschool me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahdog
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: How to convince my parents to homeschool me? Reply with quote

I need extreme help here. Lately ive really wanted to be homeschooled, but my parents keep on saying no. First of all my parents are divorced. If i get bad grades i have to move to my dads house, but i dont want to. My parents think homeschool is a bad thing. They will ground me if i keep on asking them. I really want to homeschool HELP!!
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your parents' objections to homeschooling? Do they think they will have to spend too much time helping you? Or that you won't study on your own? Or that you won't get enough socialization? It will help if you can give specifics.
blahdog
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they think i will not get enough socialization and they think that im just not going to do anything and im just going to be lazy and sit around all day.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting in class all day isn't socialization, it's what you do after school that matters. Homeschooling actually allows a lot more time for extracurriculars, since you spend maybe 3-4 hours a day max on school and have the rest available to do anything you're interested in.

As for not doing your work on your own, I can't help you there, that's something you'll just have to convince them of. Summer's coming up, show them you can do the work by starting a couple weeks ahead of the school year. That way they'll have a little time to see if you can handle it before they have to make a decision.
blahdog
User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks that is really helpful Very Happy
wrightno
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: HELLO Reply with quote

WHY SRE YOU WANTING TO BE HOMESCHOOLED?ARE YOU GETTING BULLIED AT SCHOOL.YOU NEED TO SIT DOWN AND TALK TO YOUR PARENTS AND TELL THEM WHATS GOING ON IN SCHOOL,IF THINGS ARE THAT BAD IN SCHOOL THEY MAY CHANGE THEIR MIND.THESE ARE THE PROBLEMS MY SON WAS HAVING IN SCHOOL.THATS WHY I HOMESCHOOL HIM .HE WILL BE IN THE 8TH GRADE IN THE 2007-2008 SCHOOL YEAR.TALK TO YOUR PARENTS,IT WILL HELP.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Teenagers Liberation Guide out of the library. Read it. It has ideas on how to talk about this with your parents. It has a ton of good information about other things as well.

You have to show that you are mature enough to do your work and hold a real conversation with your parents. That conversation should include your research on how you would like to home school and why.

There are about a million ways to home school. So you need to take the time to really research this yourself. If you present them with a plan including curriculum and show them you WILL get your work done, combined with why you don't want to continue school where you are or go to your Dad's they might just come around.

You may need to go ahead and do some work or planning to prove this to them. You need to be able to turn things in by your deadlines and do a good job so they can feel safe and comfortable with this choice.

The good things in life you have to work for. If you were not behaving in a way that distressed your mother, I seriously doubt she'd be threatening you with being sent to your dad's. That's usually a desperation move when a mom doesn't know where to turn.

Good luck,

Stellar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: