Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bob Jones DVD program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carmen
User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Bob Jones DVD program Reply with quote

I was thinking of using the Bob Jones DVD programs for my 9th grader next year....anyone have any experience w/this?

Blessings,
Carmen
ktombley
User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmen,

We love BJU dvd's(we use Homesat) for the high school years. It has really given our children alot of prep for college. They are very thorough but my kids have enjoyed if for the most part. I believe you can get a sample of the classes if you contact BJU. Feel free to contact me if you would like more info.

Blessings.
ccmmum
User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also thinking about ordering these for high school (currently doing 7th). What is the time factor involved in watching the DVDs? Would my daughter be sitting in front of the TV for hours every day? I was just wondering what the balance was between watching dvds and reading the books.
Thanks for any information!
ktombley
User

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7th grader this year watched 2 hours of videos each day and then his book/homework after that, usually took him another 1 1/2-2 hours. My high schoolers have 3 - 45 minute classes(math, science, foreign lang.) and then 2 - 30 minutes classes(english and history) and then 15 minute Bible class. They then usually spend another 2-3 hours on outside work. I haven't been at all concerned about my older kids being in front of the TV that much. If they were in a classroom it would be much longer and then still come home and do at least 2-3 hours of homework.
margaret7
User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: DVDs vs. HomeSat? Reply with quote

I am familiar with BJUP HomeSat, and concluded I'd never be able to keep up with the taping schedule. Do they offer a DVD option? This would be attractive to me. Tell me more!

Thanks,
margaret7
Carmen
User

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Bob Jones DVD Reply with quote

Hi Margaret -

Yes BJ does offer the DVD program now. You can check it out on their website at www.bjupress.com

Blessings,
Carmen
ccmmum
User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the DVD program is accredited? Will they issue a diploma at the end of high school if you were to use them for 9th-12th?
Carmen
User

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is info about your question. BJ will issue transcripts & diploma but it costs a little extra.

http://www.bjupress.com/services/ahe/highschool/overview.htm
cccmkr
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: I used HomeSat for 4th and K-4 Reply with quote

I used it this year... I really enjoyed the security of knowing they were getting so much good info. The math was great for my older daughter.
She also developed greatly in her writing ability this year. As for my 4 year old she is almost reading. So it is a great program!!!!

My only complaints are that I found I was having to do a lot of prep work for my K-4 and my 4th grade Reading. I had a baby this year and it ended up being less mom friendly than I hoped for, especially with my 4 year old. (lots of big hands on projects... like making indian dye out of blueberries) I also felt that my 4th grader was spending to much time in front of the TV. Since she was doing the full curriculum, she was there sometimes up to 6 - 7 hours. (Between all the pause it now stuff.) We also enjoy traveling.... and even with our portable DVD player... I found it wasn't the best for traveling.

I was hoping to lighten my load for the year and found myself working harder on some days. We are going back to LifePac next year.

I have heard great things about it for the HS levels though!

-Chawna
Vrindavan
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please update more
DVDs just on lease term ? has to return back ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: