New to Georgia. New to HS idea. Lots of Questions....

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

HayJay'sMom
User

New to Georgia. New to HS idea. Lots of Questions....

Postby HayJay'sMom » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:18 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:33 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 pm

At that age I'd recommend looking at before five in a row. As a storyteller and librarian, I love the way this curriculum works. The library should have most if not all the books you would need to use.

http://www.fiveinarow.com/before/

I wouldn't do too much with a three year old. Pushing too much academically and before they are ready can have the opposite results of what you might wish for.

If your child grows up watching you and your husband read, he is likely to want to read books.

If you make constructive learning available in the form of toys and outings, you'd be surprised at what he will learn on his own.

Yes, you can find materials that teach religious and secular views in science for the coming years. It's great IMO to make both available and talk with your child about your views and why you hold them.

Stellar

HayJay'sMom
User

Great insight

Postby HayJay'sMom » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:15 am

Thank you!

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:49 am

My kids are currently rising 11th and 9th graders. High school is doable at home. I have taken advantage of science labs at the local science museum. The zoo also has some home school resources.

I am considering dual college / highschool classes for a course or two this year, because I want my girl to have college experience before she actually goes off to college.

A local science teacher is offering a chemistry course for home schoolers after school hours she may take.

I will be looking for an ACT prep course for her. She is usually very good at standardized tests but found this one difficult because of the questions wording. We don't have the results back yet.

There are good curriculum materials out there, secular and religious, for most high school courses, you just have to look for them.

My understanding of colleges is that they mostly go by grade point averages and in the case of home schoolers ACT or SAT scores.

Stellar

Return to “Getting Started”