Confidence Issues

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momofone
User

Confidence Issues

Postby momofone » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:21 pm

novo4
User

Postby novo4 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:47 pm

Heidi

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:31 pm

You taught them to walk, talk, eat using utensils, and how to use the toilet. You likely taught them how to count, their letters, their colors and shapes, you showed them how the world around them works and how to interact with it. You faced challenges and unexpected issues as a parent and you worked to come up with solutions. You've gotten them this far, why do you all of a sudden think you're not qualified to bring them all the way to adulthood?

We're taught as parents to raise our kids to a certain age and then turn them over the "experts" because we're not "qualified" to teach our own kids. That's just a way to make themselves seem important and necessary. Public schools are there for parents who choose to use them, but they are not the end all, be all of educational options. Look at the test scores and illiteracy rates coming out of these schools. I think you'd have to be trying really hard to do a worse job than the public schools are doing.

We've all had times when we've thought to ourselves "What have I done?! What am I doing?!" It happens to new homeschoolers and it happens to veteran homeschoolers. There will be good days and bad days just like with anything else. I've been homeschooling for 4 years and I still have some days where I think to myself "I must be crazy to be doing this!" That's when you take the day off, go to the zoo, have some fun and blow off some steam and start again tomorrow. You can do that as a homeschooler - it's ok......really! :wink:

Don't let anyone tell you you're not qualified to teach your child. You're their mother, you know them better than anyone else and that alone makes you the most qualified person on the planet to teach them. Problems will come up and you will find a way to solve them. You will face challenges and you'll find a way to overcome them just like you did when they were younger. You have lots of help here so come, ask questions, vent frustrations, and have fun! We're all here to help one another!

Hope that helps! :)
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Cally
User

Postby Cally » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:25 pm

I can see where you are coming from. I think one of the most important things to teach is "how to learn." If your child has that golden egg he/she will never be afraid to go after whatever they want to learn. I don't believe any school can teach that....I learned that from my parents.

An example from my life. I never had an interest in math at all! I took the easiest courses possible in high school. No algebra! When I went to college they put me in college algebra. I felt like I landed in a foreign country where they didn't speak english. I went to my little sister for help. She taught me everything I needed to know and they didn't put me back into a pre-algebra class. It wasn't easy but I knew the most important thing was to just keep trying.

An example from my sisters life. When my sister was in college she had a professor who was always taking them on field trips. She missed her english class more than once and they were studying Shakespeare plays. The english teacher was supposed to take time to show her what she missed. But she refused. She came to me for help because she had to write a paper on Hamlet and all they did was watch the movie. She missed the main discussion in english class. We did two thing we found a book that tells the story of Shakespeare plays for children, in plain english. And we found her a forum/message board on the internet of an english class studying the play. A whole other university across the country. Those two things helped her learn more than enough to write her paper and get an A.

My point being: teaching "how to learn" will be the one thing you don't want to miss! I never will forget after I learned to read my dad said to me: Now that you know how to read. The world is yours, you can learn anything you want to learn! And learn I did!

:D
Cally

su
User

Postby su » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:33 pm

Well said, Calla Dragon!
As for missing things, I have concerned myself with that at times (I've been at this for 10 years), but find I ought not to worry. One thing I do use is test prep books. Here in Oregon, we have to test in 3rd, 5th, 8th, and 10th grades, so when testing time comes up, that is when I wonder if I'm covering "what I should be covering". Using the test prep books at this time shows me if I have covered what they will be tested on. Really, it's not that hard!
But (as I need to remind myself regularly) there is so much more to homeschooling than what is covered on the tests! There is love of learning and reading. There is character training. There is family building. There are many more things that a child gets from homeschooling that they don't get from being cooped up in a classroom with 30 other kids for 7-8 hours a day!

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:39 am

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:43 am

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:44 am

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 am