Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Youtube video on Math...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joylane
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Youtube video on Math... Reply with quote

I found this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an eye opener!! wow, how ridiculous the school system curriculum can be. Just because it is taught in school doesn't make it right. I refues to teach the "NEW" math, it isn't easier, it's just more confusing. I was given a calculator in 6th grade and it ruined me! subtraction and division is very hard for me to do, so i am learning along with my boys all over again!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Joylane
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned the standard algorithm for multiplication and division in school. Because I have a firm understanding of how it works then I can appreciate the other methods. However, I don't see how all these "breakdown" methods are helpful to children just learning multiplication and division. Perhaps once they have a firm understanding of the standard algorithm, then sure. I use the 2nd method she showed on multiplication all the time to figure things out in my head. I was never "taught" this.....it just came naturally from understanding multiplication. (I never even knew it was an actual method lol) But I would never use this as a means to teach it to my children before they had a firm grasp on facts.

Why on earth would there be 40+ pages of maps in a math book though? And why would it take 35 pages to show how a calculator works? Thats just insane.
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all learned how to do math the proper way, thankfully. For entertainment I actually used to do things like multiply two random 20-digit numbers by hand, just to see if I could Smile While I do use a calculator now - albeit not terribly proficiently - all that early mental / by hand math made it far easier to learn advanced-level math when I reached it. And even my siblings whose specialty definitely isn't math have managed to make it through Calculus.

The will to learn math depends largely on your confidence level, and the best way to be confident is to know that you have mastered everything farther down. "New Math" just doesn't provide you with that mastery. It's almost as bad as "Whole Language" is for teaching you how to read. And both assume that the student is too stupid to learn the regular, reliable way, which doesn't exactly fill students with a whole lot of confidence and self-esteem.

Whoever came up with this stuff should be horsewhipped for crimes against humanity.
Lenethren
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a real eye opener.
jslcbb
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: everyday math Reply with quote

My daughter is currently in a public school that does everyday math. How difficult will it be to teach her the common sense way of doing regular multiplication and division the way I learned. I am going to start hsing her next year and am just curious on what grade level I should start her on in math, because she does not have the basic knowledge of multiplication and division that she should in 5th grade.
Stacy
Dolly-VA
User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: everyday math Reply with quote

jslcbb wrote:
My daughter is currently in a public school that does everyday math. How difficult will it be to teach her the common sense way of doing regular multiplication and division the way I learned.

First check to see that she hasn't already been taught the standard way. I have spoken with several moms with kids in different schools around here (VA) using Everyday Math and ALL of them are taught the standard way as well. It seems most of the teachers out there have already determined that it's ridiculous. Maybe the textbooks are forced on them but they have some leeway? (The kids also know the EM version, too. That stuff boggles my non-math inclined mind...) If, however, she doesn't know the standard way, I would guess as long as she doesn't have any learning difficulties, it should come pretty easy. (It's got to be easier than EM!)
chevyfudd
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a younger sister who does the last version with the box. She is not doing well in math and I never understood what she was doing. I think they need to stick with the way it has been taught for years. It seems to be working just fine.
WishboneDawn
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think both methods have stuff to offer and though we're heavier on old-fashioned techniques I've certainly used some activities and approaches that fall under the 'new'new math' umbrella.

Somewhere there's a rational middle ground that seeks to teach kids the way they learn rather then trumpet one method or another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool vs Public School All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: