Came across this in my homeschool research....

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momofone
User

Came across this in my homeschool research....

Postby momofone » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:12 am

This is from a response about why children should be learning in kindergarten....

"They are all there to learn how to work with each other and together, to learn limits, respect, and even a little discipline, and-- most importantly--from an authority figure who is not a parent"

The part about "not a parent". Why do they need discipline from an authority figure who is not a parent? :|

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:16 am

Because school officials believe that kids need to "get away" from their parents. I've heard the same stuff from my MIL who is a 2nd grade teacher - gotta "break the cord" and that the only way to do that is to send them off to school for 6-8 hours a day.

Of course we know that's not true, but this is what most school officials truly believe and they believe they are the only ones qualified to accompllish all those tasks.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:21 am

What kind of philosophy is that!? Shouldn't we be advocates of keeping kids close to family?

I am sitting here shaking my head.

Thanks for the quick response, btw. :D Your MIL must loooooove you! LOL

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:24 am

Because an official, state-approved authority figure will fill the kids' heads with the right sorts of propaganda, rather than than nutso things like morals and patriotism and so on. And a badly educated child turns into a more easily controlled grownup.

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:29 am

No, they aren't. They have an agenda to push in their school and they resent interference from parents - usally Christian parents. Their agenda is one of tolerance (which sounds good on the surface), but it's a manipulation of the morals. They teach questionable morals like "if it feels good, it must be right" and "nothing is wrong, it's all subjective". Again, that works in some situations, but most of the time it just backfires. Schools rarely believe in personal accountablity for one's actions. Basically, they're trying to train the kids that government is good, government will take care of them and training them in the beliefs that make a compliant citizen. If kids don't meet their standards for appropriate attitudes, they get remediated until they tell the schools what they want to hear.

Parents (especially religious parents) are a roadblock to accomplishing this, but since the schools have them for more hours a day than the parents do, they often end up accomplishing this task.

Some schools use techniques to turn kids against their parents and they administer questionnaires to ask the kids the beliefs, income, and actions of their parents which all goes into a database.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:15 pm

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:56 am

Return to “Getting Started”