Moral Dilemmas and Homeschool Groups...

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lilredhen5
User

Moral Dilemmas and Homeschool Groups...

Postby lilredhen5 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:41 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:09 pm

Wow, that's tough. I guess from my perspective it would hinge on the "president's" heart- is he repentant or flippant about it all. I will proceed from the standpoint that he is of a repentant heart...

The first scripture that comes to mind is found in Galations chapter 6...
Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.

He is a teenager who has made a bad decision. He will live with the consequences everyday. This could be a very vital time in this young man's life where he learns what true mercy is-undeserved favor. I would be more concerned with his soul than what anyone may think. I don't believe that anyone will assume that he is being exalted for immorality. Instead, others may learn that when they fall short, there is compassion to be found in the Lord and from His people.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Sheila (HS mom to 4 sons)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:03 pm

Removing him from the position of class president is not the same thing as banishing him from the group entirely. The class president is supposed to set an example for everyone else, and I don't think getting your gf pregnant is a terribly good example. Plus, the whole class president thing was ramrodded through in the first place, obviously just for the benefit of him and his mother. It wasn't worth making an issue of then, but it certainly should be brought to a full vote now.

Beyond the vote, I guess the important question is, is he going to marry his gf or not? It wouldn't make things entirely better, but it would show that he's willing to at least take responsibility for his actions. If he's not willing to marry her and provide for her, then he shouldn't be class president, regardless of whether the vote is massively in his favor. It's one thing to do something wrong, repent, and take the consequences - it's another entirely to run off and leave someone else to clean up your mess.

The focus in this sort of thing is always on the mother and father, and sometimes on appearances, but rarely on what's going to happen to the baby if he or she ends up being raised in a single-parent environment.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:11 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:33 pm

David and Bathsheba didn't get off scott-free, I seem to remember that the baby died. And it was Noah who got drunk, but you can't really count that because it was the first time strong drink had ever been produced, and I doubt Noah realized what was happening. Neither are terribly good comparisons.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue May 01, 2007 12:11 pm

4given,

I just wanted to say that I agree with you almost completely. If not for mercy and grace none of us would have a leg to stand on. IF this young man is repentant he could really use this to minister to other young people. In my opinion, the people who are generally the best at ministering are those who have experienced the pain of making a bad decision. This kid is going to be a father at the "ripe old age" of seventeen; I don't think anyone could say he is getting off scott-free! Truly he needs mercy and forgiveness just like the rest of us!

Calleigh

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue May 01, 2007 12:52 pm

Yes, yes, you're not going to throw him into the outer darkness. My only question is, do you think he should still be in a leadership position? It's not a matter of being nice to him, but rather one of whether it sets a good example to others outside the group.

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue May 01, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm so glad to hear you are not for throwing him into the outer darkness! :wink:

It's been A WHILE since I have dealt with any kind of class president type things (I won't say how long!) but isn't it the other students who "vote" that person into the position?

Certainly that isn't a good example, but I think these students are probably aware of that. I guess I don't really think he should be taken out of his "position," especially since his position really doesn't mean anything anyway. It would just cause more strain and stress in an already awkward situation. Just my opinion. I'm guessing this mother who pushed for it in the first place probably feels pretty embarrassed all the way around. :oops:

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”