Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Not Sure Where To Start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PasteEater
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: I'm Not Sure Where To Start? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm from California and my son is 8 and in third grade. I am very disappointed with his school, and all the schools here in general. I want to start Homeschooling him next year and have to call his school on August 4th to start it up.

My questions are: What do I have to do? Do I have to have any sort of papers? I saw somewhere that you have to have a copy of your High School dipolma. I got my GED. Does that still count? I don't have a copy of it any more. Can I call the college I went to and ask them for it? Any advice you can give me would be very helpful!

Thank you!
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

California law requires that you be "capable of teaching". I don't believe there is any specific requirement as to whether you need a high school diploma or not, but a GED would suffice if there were such a requirement, and you can request a copy of your GED as follows:
Looking for your GED Transcript?

See the following CHN page on your options for homeschooling in CA:
http://www.californiahomeschool.net/howTo/legOpt.htm

And for specifics on the private school affidavit:
http://www.californiahomeschool.net/howTo/psa.htm

Basically, you need to file an affidavit (see above), keep an attendance register, and teach the same subjects as the public schools.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm Not Sure Where To Start? Reply with quote

PasteEater wrote:
Hi, I'm from California and my son is 8 and in third grade. I am very disappointed with his school, and all the schools here in general. I want to start Homeschooling him next year and have to call his school on August 4th to start it up.

My questions are: What do I have to do? Do I have to have any sort of papers? I saw somewhere that you have to have a copy of your High School dipolma. I got my GED. Does that still count? I don't have a copy of it any more. Can I call the college I went to and ask them for it? Any advice you can give me would be very helpful!

Thank you!

You will need to file a private school affidavit between this fall October 1 and 15. You will want to notify your dc's current school that he will not be coming back because he will be enrolled in a private school. Be sure to say it just like that: He will be enrolled in a private school. You say that because it is true. You do not need any kind of permission from his school to teach him at home. The school will NOT know anything about homeschooling...trust me on this!

You do NOT have to have a high school diploma or GED. This may be true in other states, but not in California.

California Homeschool Network (www.californiahomeschool.net), Homeschool Associates of California (www.hsc.org) and Christian Home Educators Association of California (www.cheaofca.org) all have list local contacts on their sites. It would be good for you to check them all out to see if there's a support group near you so that you could talk to people in person Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: