Terrified, need support!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dkatiemom
User

Terrified, need support!

Postby dkatiemom » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:29 am

I have made the decision, purchased all of the materials, and now comes the hard part of notifying the school. Oh, why am I so nervous?!

I am only pulling one child from school, and therein lies the problem. He has been sick with a bad sore throat and cold since Monday, and the timing couldn't be worse. His teacher sent me an email telling me that they miss him at the school, and when I dropped my youngest off today the resource room teacher leaned in the car and asked my oldest how he was feeling (he doesn't look very sick, and admittedly has been incredibly happy the last few days).

The longer I know but the school doesn't, along with the fact that ds has been out the whole week so far, brings that ugly mantra to mind: "..Oh, what a tangled web we weave..."

I guess this, in a way, is the last hurdle, yet it is the one that can get ugly in any number of ways. I feel like there must be one perfect way to get through it unscathed, I just wish I knew what it was!

I emailed the teacher back, asking for her personal email address (so that I can explain to her what we are going to do and why). It just seems so much more respectful and appropriate than uncerimoniously pulling him from the school with nothing more than a legal letter.

Any opinions here? Just as I want to do the right thing for my son (and it really is the right thing), I want to do the right thing with regard to the school that my children all attend and that I personally respect and admire.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:00 am

Welcome to homeschooling in Texas :-)

Ok, here's the thing: You have an absolute right to teach your dc at home. As much as you like and admire his school, for some reason you have decided that it is best for him to be at home with you. Don't allow any warm fuzzy feelings for the school to affect either your decision to homeschool or the next steps you take to get him out for good.

You will need to notify the school office that you are withdrawing your ds. If you want, you can e-mail the teacher, but you still should notify the office yourself. It is not required by law; however, if you don't the school may think that he is truant and then you'll be in a mess :-o

You do NOT need to fill out any special forms or get any sort of permission or anything else. Your handwritten letter is sufficient. Do not give the school any more information than is necessary, such as a list of materials you'll be using. It is not required by law.

There are LOTS of hsers in your area :-)

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Just remember, as his mom you know whats best!
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:38 pm

Ramona
User

Re: Terrified, need support!

Postby Ramona » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:54 am

Notifying the school means just that.

Parents do not have to ask the school for permission to withdraw a child.

Parents do not have to convince the school that homeschooling is best for the child.

Parents do not have to get the school to agree or approve or support the decision to homeschool.

Parents only need let the school know: The child is leaving.

The emotions of the teachers, resource personnel, and other school employees are irrelevant.

Planning to withdraw a child from school without keeping school employees informed of those plans during the planning process does not constitute deception. The school has no right to know the inner thoughts of the parents of its students.

The school does not need to give permission before a child is withdrawn.

The school does not need to agree or approve or support the decision to homeschool.

The school only needs to know who is on the rolls and who isn't.

Ramona

BusyBee
User

Postby BusyBee » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:00 am

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:29 pm

RJ
User

Postby RJ » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:25 pm

Gypsy'sMom
User

Postby Gypsy'sMom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:52 am

Bri

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:41 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Return to “Getting Started”