Your Thoughts: Oregon High School Graduate Standards

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momofmy3kids
User

Your Thoughts: Oregon High School Graduate Standards

Postby momofmy3kids » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:03 am

I was just reading the new High School Graduate standards for the state of Oregon. My thought: Wanna bet that HS students are going to vastly outperform PS students on this?? I'm wondering just HOW the PS system in my area is going to manage to accomplish this when they keep INCREASING class sizes. Only solidifies my position that homeschooling is a viable option for education and the very best for my children.

-- Requiring students to demonstrate a set of "essential skills." They'll include reading and interpreting a variety of texts, writing for a variety of purposes, speaking and presenting publicly, applying mathematics in a variety of settings, demonstrating civic and community engagement, and thinking critically and analytically.

momofmy3kids
User

Postby momofmy3kids » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:13 am

momofmy3kids
User

Postby momofmy3kids » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:15 am

su
User

Postby su » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 pm

isamama
User

I'm one of those 80%

Postby isamama » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:18 am

Turn back the clock nearly three decades - When I graduated from an OR high school we, the class of 78, were told we were the worst graduating class in natiuonal history (per our scores). We were also told that they were going to improve standards starting with the class of 79. Great, I thought, far in the future I'll be embarrased to admit the year of my graduation, but I figured at least my kids would have it better. I attended Eugene/Spfd area schools til 11th grade when I threatened to drop out if made to stay in a particular high school, so they transferred me to a private school, but my transcript lacks Alg II/Trig, Chemistry, and Physics. I was dumbed down.

My parents sent me to a community college then on to an University where I managed to get as far as Calculus earning an A. I was an elementary ed major, but my dh swept me off my feet before I finished.

Our principal, here in MT, had the audacity to tell us (ds and I) that he couldn't learn Algebra and that they shouldn't be expected to teach him it. That is when I decided to hs and never look back. My son is a meteorology major expecting to take Differential equations next semester. Hm I see a mystery there

I miss Oregon and Oregonians, just thought I'd pop in say hi and wish you all well. Keep up the good work.
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

su
User

Postby su » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:23 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:35 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”