Online public schools vs regular homeschooling?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wrightno
User

Online public schools vs regular homeschooling?

Postby wrightno » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:59 pm

natasha w.

su
User

Postby su » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:53 pm

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:28 am

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:15 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

sgmco
User

Postby sgmco » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:04 am

I am new to Home Schooling idea--still learning and thinking about putting
my DS in Online High School. I have found several in my state
that are free and have a good choice of curriculum.
Since he has been in PS all his school years we will have to go
the online public school method for the structure aspect.
I like that the online HS have most all the work done for
you when it comes to what is required for credits and getting
a HS diploma. I want my DS to succeed in his HS years and
for us the Online programs seem to have what it takes to do that.
I have been searching of Online Home schooling Forums but have not
found any that are just for that.

roma
User

Postby roma » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 pm

Home School is not for everyone, and each parent knows their own situation better than anyone else. However Home Schooling is my preference, and this article explains:

Thinking About Homeschooling? Teachers Are
http://ezinearticles.com/?Thinking-About-Homeschooling?-Teachers-Are&id=2499296
RC

mschickie
User

Postby mschickie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:28 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:28 am

I think online public schools are good for people who pulled their children out of public school and do not yet have the confidence to homeschool. Most--not all, just most--of the people who have used such programs in my area, only use them for a few months to a year. Often they have the confidence to use a curriculum of their choosing and homeschool more independently. Plus, they are just so structured! They do not take into account that I will be having my daughter add up the cost of the groceries while we are shopping and it leaves little time for that kind of real life application of the knowledge acquired.

I am admittedly biased. I think homeschooling is far superior for so many reasons. One, my daughter spans three to four grades in various subjects and levels of interest. I can encourage her potential without being boxed into a grade level, which would be one of many reasons I am not interested in any curriculum based on grade levels. I can talk to her in another language we both are learning while I am driving the car. Homeschooling is not school at home for most of us, it is a lifestyle, intertwined in our daily routines. It is not seat work for a few hours and then they are done for the day. Homeschooling happens in the kitchen, out shopping, in the car, on a trip, in pajamas!

roma
User

Postby roma » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 am

Very well said. For anyone who is interested in knowing more, or growing confidence about home schooling, I recommend attending your State Conference.
RC

yoginiha
User

Postby yoginiha » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:01 pm

We've been in an online school since 2010 to the present. But yesterday we mailed the affadavit to the local district and are looking forward to officially home schooling.

The online school was wonderful. The curriculum is mostly outstanding, particularly the history. It was through K12.com, which is a private company. And it was administered through an online charter school. So it was tax funded. Since online charter schools are derided by teachers' unions and other "authorities," our school did lots of testing and practice testing to prepare for standardized tests to show that it works. They claim customization and flexibility, and it is compared to pub. school. We, however, need more customization.

This past month, I decided I can't take online school anymore. I can't handle the schedule and requirements. But I'm glad we did it, and it is much better than the local public school we used to go to.

I have 2 main problems with online school. 1st, the requirements infringe on our family's lives. It almost dictates how I interact with my children during the day. I nag them to get their lessons done. Get it done, so we can be free to do other things. One of the reasons we left public school was because my oldest would be bored and distracted all day at school and then come home and do homework. This homework was repetitive. She brought home the same math worksheet every week. It was a drill sheet. It would take her 3 hours sometimes to do her homework, not because it's hard, but because she just didn't want to. I thought, I might as well be homeschooling her. I resented that the teacher got to spend the best part of the day with her and sent her home with homework, dictating how I spend my time with her in the evening--nagging her to get it done, instead of doing fun things. We went with the online school, because I wasn't confident enough at the time to home school.

The 2nd problem I have with online school is that my kindergartener can read on a 2nd grade level, yet she's got to do kindergarten phonics, etc. So we've been testing out of each unit. She's been spending her time in online kindergarten testing out of things, instead of learning things. At least she can test out of things, and then they'll send her the 1st grade Language Arts curriculum, but that has phonics too and lots of review. My 5th grader has become both bored and overwhelmed with the many requirements.

We want to enjoy learning. Not focus on getting it done. Since we've decided to home school and have been trying it out, we feel peaceful freedom. I can enjoy being with my kids now, being their mother, instead of a "learning coach."

My kids love learning. The are excited about homeschool learning. Doing online school has given me some training and confidence to take the step to home schooling. So I will defend online school against pro-conventional public school hacks. But if home schooling families want to criticize online charter schools, that's fine with me.

We want a more holistic approach. I'm impressed by the Charlotte Mason approach and add child interest driven method to that. My kids are so interested in things. All of a sudden, they are taking an active interest in learning. My 5th grader classified leaves on the trees in the park yesterday. My 3rd grader woke up this morning practicing Chinese calligraphy from a book she got at the library.

I say, let them be creative and curious while they're young, maybe they'll stay that way. I'd hate to have the love of learning and curiosity beat out of them.

I know home schooling won't be a bowl of cherries, but it's right for us, for this time.
If it's to be, it's up to me

txfamilyof7
User

Postby txfamilyof7 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:45 am

Well, I can see both sides of the story; first, the cynical view: online public schools are a way for parents to take their children out of the public school system while still being under the thumb of the government. They are still told what their child needs to learn, what days they need to be there and are graded by a failing system.

However, on the positive side, parents who are unable (or feel that they're unable, as I truly believe that every parent is able) to teach their children themselves now have an option other than the brick and mortar school.

That's my 2 cents.
Jennifer
Homeschooling Mom of 5
Our family: http://www.familyofseven.com
http://www.homeschoolingforfree.org

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Online schooling (and by that, I assume some people mean charter schools?) can work as a stepping stone towards homeschooling if you don't feel entirely confident just jumping in cold turkey. Get used to explaining things to your children, overseeing their work, etc. and gradually research better curriculum options until you think you can handle doing it all on your own. I highly recommend attending homeschooling conventions and browsing through all the curriculum booths.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:21 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

mcmahon
User

Postby mcmahon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:29 am

Both are good ideas. But for me, I'd rather prefer Home schooling for my daughter, she's been into Homeschool and she's performing well with her studies. I believe choosing the best teacher is also an advantage for sending her to homeschool

cindyg
User

Postby cindyg » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Both can be great. I personally don't want to use what our public school system teaches so I do my own homeschooling and do not use the public online schooling. I know some who use the online and love it though.
Cindy Grayson
Mom to: John age 11 and Candice age 19
Save Money on Your Entire Families Medical Costs

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”