How do I help my child look forward to homeschooling? Help!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

3girls4me
User

How do I help my child look forward to homeschooling? Help!

Postby 3girls4me » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:15 pm

Redhead
User

Postby Redhead » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:56 am

Redhead
"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." C.S. Lewis

Sandy
User

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:44 pm

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:00 pm

Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

momofmy3kids
User

Postby momofmy3kids » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 pm

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:48 pm

milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:18 pm

For the 10-y-o: ITA with those who said make it a matter of prayer. When I had to go back on a promise I'd made to my 14-y-o DS, I told him it was because of what I felt in my heart God was telling me to do, and he accepted that even though he was sad for a while.

For the little one: I took my pre-K kids to the home of a friend who was a school-bus driver and she gave them a tour of her bus. I took them to the public elementary school for the open-house day they hold each year for families of entering Kindergarteners. I took them to the public high school to watch a musical. It turned out all they wanted was to see the insides of those things once. They were dying of curiosity. They had no desire whatsoever to spend all day every day doing that!

Ramona

Gypsy'sMom
User

Help!

Postby Gypsy'sMom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:49 pm

I have a 6 year old daughter who is now in Kindergarten. I am seriously thinking about HS her next year. She comes home almost everyday saying that she was bored in school or when she goes to bed she asks me if she could PLEASE stay home the next day. This is quite unlike her, she started out Pre-K and Kind. loving school and all the kids and teachers, however this has since changed. I asked her why one day and her reply was "I'm bored." I set up and meeting with her teacher to figure out the problem and come to find out my DD is at a 2nd grade level. So while most of the other kids sit and learn letters, numbers, and reading...she just sits there because she already has this down. The teacher tries to give her extra things to do but because the school is basically on a "set curriculum" there isn't a whole lot that she can do. There isn't any "advanced" classes that she can do at the school (those don't start until much older) I was told by another teacher that "gifted" children don't get bored, they find something else to do. So I've been thinking that if I HS her, we can work at her own pace and she won't be bored. When I brought this up to my daughter she seemed ok with it. Should I start HSing her next year or just let her be where she is? And if I do HS what are somethings that I can do to make that an easier transition? I would like to have some other parents opinions on this. My thinking is, if she is bored at school she will start being bored with learning all together and I don't want that to happen.
Bri

Ramona
User

Re: Help!

Postby Ramona » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:53 pm

IMHO, you should start HSing her ASAP. It doesn't sound to me like it will be a particularly difficult transition.

Ramona

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:23 pm

I'd have to agree with Ramona. I once heard an experienced PS parent sharing about children such as your daughter. She said,"There are always a few that begin school and are much more advanced than the other kids. But by third grade everything levels out". She was portraying this as a positive thing :roll:

Return to “Getting Started”