Need Help w/High School Curriculum...

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

artsygirl
User

Need Help w/High School Curriculum...

Postby artsygirl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:40 am

Blessings to you.

Kris

Annie
User

Re: Need Help w/High School Curriculum...

Postby Annie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:30 am

jrb434
User

aop

Postby jrb434 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:22 am

Alpha Omega Publications offers a complete high school curriculum.

My kids are younger but use this curriculum, and I love that it is all-in-one. They also offer a computer based program which you may like for your student too.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:58 pm

We don't like textbooks in general so we've done things a little differently than some might.

World Lit What we have done this year is have her read various selections and write pieces she is inspired to write. This was closely linked to World History as well for us.

World History we obtained lists of historical novels for various periods in time she wasn't already conversant in. We also watched movies in this same time periods and areas of the world. Then she wrote stories about or in that time and place.

Algebra 1 Math U See is what we have used. My daughter loved Pre Algebra with it due to the manipulatables. Sadly those aren't really focused on for Geometry or Algebra 1. They still like the materials fairly well. It comes with a DVD, teachers and students book or rather you order each separately I believe.

Biology My girl picked out the Biology Color Book. I thought it would be a joke and we'd need another source but surprisingly it has a ton of high level information just like a text book. She was looking for kinesthetic component but she was turned off by there being no significance to the colors used.

At our local science museum she is also taking a Biology lab for home schoolers that she likes a lot.

French We are not taking French. She has taken Sign Language, Egyptian Hieroglyphics, Spanish, Latin and is taking Japanese.

We used a simple workbook we purchased at the Parent Teacher store for Spanish which her elementary school had already started with her before we took her out. She liked that but it was when she was in sixth grade and so on a lower level.

She used library resources and a lot of practice to learn sign language.

She did a huge report on Egyptian Hieroglyphics, using library and internet resources.

We used Latin Is Not So Tough but it was a bit tough because there were no context clues and write pieces she is inspired to write. This was closely linked to World History as well for us.or alternate possible right answers in the materials. I ended up contacting the manufacturer, a high school Latin teacher and some school friends to figure out how to score these things because of that.

Japanese 1 and 2, we are using Rosetta Stone because our library offers it free. It's a immerse in the language method. My girl likes it better than my boy. He prefers to watch anime, use a Japanese / English dictionary and audio resource by Pimsaur. We got it from Barnes and Noble.

Amer Lit and Amer History, we plan to do what we've done with World History and Lit above only of course the focus will be on American History and Lit. Also we plan to go to a Colonial Village we have nearby and watch the PBS show about trying to recreate one.

Geometry Math U See is what we used again. She didn't like the lack of manipulatables though.

Chemistry We are probably going to dual enroll her into a community college for this because that is what she wants to do.

HTH,

Stellar

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:38 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:50 am

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”