Will homeschooling deprive my child of community connection?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

UltravioletLight
User

Will homeschooling deprive my child of community connection?

Postby UltravioletLight » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:21 am

I'm a single mom fed up with public school. My son is very introverted and thoughtful and frankly doesn't seem to "need" friends around all the time...but I do see that he needs that companionship with his buds. If I pull him out of public school, I worry that he'll lose that connection and I'll do more damage than good.

I'm so confused about this aspect of it. I don't want to end up with a little hermit child, if that makes sense!! I guess I'm just not sure how the day to day will be in this regard. It is kind of scary to me.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you!

PS: i'm in portland, oregon...but might be moving to san luis obispo this summer.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:30 am

School is really a lousy place for socializing (unless no learning is getting done...), it's what you do after school that matters. Your particular situation may be somewhat more difficult if you have to work, but there should still be time for some visiting back and forth and at least one or two extracurriculars, especially if your son's friends live in the same neighborhood.

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:24 am

School hasn't made your son less of an introvert .
You may find that homeschooling will give him confidence and he may well come out of himself.
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

MelN2LilMen
User

Postby MelN2LilMen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:54 am

My son is also an introvert and has stated that he feels no need for a bunch of friends and social outings. I think it is more important for him to be able to interract with people when he feels like it rather than actually interracting with them every day.
Mel N 2 Lil Men

UltravioletLight
User

thank you

Postby UltravioletLight » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:02 am

I appreciate the quick responses. It was helpful!

Return to “Getting Started”