Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will homeschooling deprive my child of community connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltravioletLight
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Will homeschooling deprive my child of community connection? Reply with quote

I'm a single mom fed up with public school. My son is very introverted and thoughtful and frankly doesn't seem to "need" friends around all the time...but I do see that he needs that companionship with his buds. If I pull him out of public school, I worry that he'll lose that connection and I'll do more damage than good.

I'm so confused about this aspect of it. I don't want to end up with a little hermit child, if that makes sense!! I guess I'm just not sure how the day to day will be in this regard. It is kind of scary to me.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you!

PS: i'm in portland, oregon...but might be moving to san luis obispo this summer.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

School is really a lousy place for socializing (unless no learning is getting done...), it's what you do after school that matters. Your particular situation may be somewhat more difficult if you have to work, but there should still be time for some visiting back and forth and at least one or two extracurriculars, especially if your son's friends live in the same neighborhood.
angw8
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

School hasn't made your son less of an introvert .
You may find that homeschooling will give him confidence and he may well come out of himself.

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...
MelN2LilMen
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is also an introvert and has stated that he feels no need for a bunch of friends and social outings. I think it is more important for him to be able to interract with people when he feels like it rather than actually interracting with them every day.
UltravioletLight
User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I appreciate the quick responses. It was helpful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: