newbie to hs need to learn the ropes

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ramona M
User

newbie to hs need to learn the ropes

Postby Ramona M » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:47 pm

My 5th grader has attended a wonderful small town country school since pre-k. However, next year she would have to be bussed to a large county middle school & we're thinking homeschooling would be a better option. I've been researching hs, but, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm not sure how to get started, which curriculum to choose, wondering if I'm competent to teach what she needs,or if she will be miserable being away from her friends. (She's such a social butterfly.) Any help, suggestions, or support will be greatly appreciated.

3GiftsFromGod
User

Postby 3GiftsFromGod » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 pm

I think you should talk to her about it. Explain why you want to HS her, and make her feel very special! You can do it, you are her mother! As for the social butterfly, I would say make the extra effort to have her friends over and special trips on weekend for her and her friends, or just staying home and "hanging out" with them. HSing is overwhelming at first there are a TON of options! I think that she is old enough that you can include her in the curriculum decisions. The more you include her I am guessing the more she will get into it! I have younger girls and they love to "plan" out or day. They sometimes choose rules or regulations for themselves I never would have thought of, but because they were involved in the making of the rules/plan they are excited about it. So sit down with her "woman to woman" :) and tell her your expectations and ask what hers are! Have fun!

Ramona M
User

Postby Ramona M » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I have discussed it with her at length. At 1st she was dead set against it but now she says she wants to be hsed. I just want it to work out. I don't want to fail at it & her wind up back at PS a grade behind her friends. :roll:

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”