homeschool highschool and get an accredited diploma?

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

teenutter
User

homeschool highschool and get an accredited diploma?

Postby teenutter » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:33 pm

I was told by a member of our local homeschool group that it is possible to homeschool all the way through the 12 th grade and then apply to a school on-line, submit your homeschool transcripts to them, pay a fee, and they will validate and award your child with an accredited highschool diploma?

before finding out more about this from the lady I mentioned early the meeting began and now I am not sure which lady I was talking with in our group.

But what I really want to know is, is this even possible? is it a scam for money? Has any one ever heard of this?

Thank you Tina
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Prov. 22:6 niv

Theodore

It's rsther like a college portfolio review service...

Postby Theodore » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:20 pm

Yes, it is possible. It's rsther like a college portfolio review service, where you supply work you have completed and they officially declare that you have completed x course. Just make sure they're accredited before you start paying them money and you should be fine :)

Personally though, I'd just take AP / CLEP tests for all the important subjects and go with that. If you can supply sufficient proof that you've completed the high school graduation requirements for your state, colleges will accept you, regardless of whether you received an "official" diploma from some high school. My bro was accepted at the Coast Guard academy (and recently graduated with honors) based off his transcript and test scores alone - and the Coast Guard has one of the most stringent sets of entrance requirements of any college in the US.

Princess_Fyara
User

Postby Princess_Fyara » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:30 pm

As I understand it, the AP and CLEP are very similure, excepting that AP will only provide proof that you have finished a course. CLEP will actually give you College credit for the same things, and while it depends somewhat on the College, it can easily save you 1-2 years of re-take. There are some very good CLEP prep books out there to help make sure you have everything covered. :)

Theodore

Actually, scores of 4 or 5 on AP exams will often...

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:30 am

Actually, scores of 4 or 5 on AP exams will often give you college credit as well. The primary difference between the two is that AP is done on paper and CLEP on a computer, so I'd personally go with CLEP whenever possible so you don't have to worry about filling in the little holes and writing your answers by hand. Typing and clicking is so much faster. The AP exams are also a bit more difficult imho.

Or you could look at DANTES, which is written tests you can take at military bases. I don't think these are timed, but I don't know how difficult they are overall.

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:47 pm

Actually I found the SAT and AP exams to be pretty different (in methadology, subjects ect). I took a month with a couple great SAT (SAT for Dummies was one of the books that really helped a lot) prep books and AP prep books.

CLEP tests are great for colleges that accept them (I CLEPed Science, again I took a CLEP prep book for a month and then the test and aced it).

Theodore

Do you mean SAT Subject Tests (SAT II)?

Postby Theodore » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:31 am

Oh, do you mean SAT Subject Tests (aka SAT II)? What are those like?

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:02 pm

I found them pretty similar to the CLEP tests.... or a final exam in college.

Return to “High School / College Prep”