Help plz with picking curriculum!

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Jen76
User

Help plz with picking curriculum!

Postby Jen76 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:09 pm

Myself and my hubby have been looking over alot of curriculum and are lost on where we should start after father looking into it we have decided that RC is not what we first thought it was so we are back at square one. we are not sure what would be good to buy at this time we will be starting to homeschool our daugter next school year and she should be in 8th grade any imput from you all would be great thanx for your time.

Jen (first time homeschool mom) :)

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:19 am

I don't know if this will be any help, but this is my tentative curriculum for my son who will also be in 8th grade next year.

Math: Time4Learning's algebra (he'll be done with that 1/2 way through the year at which point I'll have to find a geometry program he likes as well)

Language Arts:
Writing: Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW) the Student Intensive Continuation Course-B (SICC-B) this is "writing" as in stories, reports, etc., not handwriting. This year he did the Student Writing Intensive-B (which is where your child would start. I cannot recommend this ENOUGH.)
Grammar: EnglishGrammar101.com (he's making his way steadily through it and actually learning from it, as opposed to any other grammar program he's used.) He'll do a review through it again halfway through 8th grade. (There are "tests" that let you know what areas to work on.)
Literature: Teaching the Classics (from IEW) this is a Socratic method analysis program that we'll use along with some writing. We'll choose classics suggested for his grade level (somewhere) along with newer, newberry award winning books for this.

History: not entirely certain, right now he's reading "Horrible History" books and then doing mini research reports on something specific that caught his attention amidst a general topic (like "trench warfare" for WWI and "the attack on Pearl Harbor" for WWII) But depending on the state guidelines for the grade, we may do something more guided (maybe the US History-Based Lessons from IEW...can you guess I like their program? lol)

Science: my biggest problem. I've heard of something called "Blue Bengal Learning Labs" and they have a full 7th-9th grade science curriculum on dvd's (or a computer program???) But I've not read any personal reviews on it (from happy or dissatisfied people.) I'm not happy with the idea of using a standard science textbook or a religious based one as, according to the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) all of these are pretty pitiful in actually teaching the material that SHOULD be taught at this age. Once he'd finished his 7th grade "Life Science" program he'd been using this year, we switched to "Horrible Science" books as well. (These are a blast.) Where he reads something, then does further research, including watching documentaries, going to the library, trips to the Smithsonian, etc. I think I've been enjoying this as much as he has. (Otoh, I do think he should be exposed to the "curriculum" of his grade. I'm just lost. And I don't want it to become boring for him. *SIGH*)

Languages: He's doing Rosetta Stone Spanish 2 right now and will still be on it next fall. However, he's requesting he also get to learn Japanese, so he'll start that in the fall.

Computers: My current county school system has a link to an AOL online learning program that looks VERY interesting! As a trial, he's going to take the Intro to Web Design course they offer. (Actually, now that I've remembered it, I'm going to check what their science course is like.)

I think that covers most bases (and it's kind of a relief to have everything pretty much determined already.)

Oh, he also plays the drums and takes art classes. P.E. is an issue, but I think we'll go for swimming and/or sailing. There ARE 12 days in a week, right? :wink:

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:43 am

This is just my opinion/suggestion-

Maybe take the first year to sample different curriculum's you think your dd may like - here is a website you can order a sample pack of several curriculum's:

http://www.3moms.com/html/home.asp

You can use the time to get to know your dd's learning style and see what will work best for her instead of spending money on books you may not like or use.

Best of luck to you!

Jen76
User

Postby Jen76 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:31 pm

WishboneDawn
User

Postby WishboneDawn » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:30 am

easyhomeschooling
User

Design you Own

Postby easyhomeschooling » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:29 pm

You can design your own curriculum. Just decide what you want to teach or your child wants to learn and then categorize those things into subject areas. Get books from the library, read and write on what has been read. Add a math program and perhaps science and there you have it. It really can be simple.
Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

Jen76
User

Postby Jen76 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:25 pm

myself and hubby have been looking at lifepacs it has everything that our state requies except for reading and i figuar that i can hav her read a book and then wright about it thats what she does in PS but my hubby still want me to look into it more so im ill be going to a homeschool meeting here in springfield mo next month. but any input on Lifepac and if it is as good as i think it is would be great thanx again to you all for your help.
(sry if i spelled anything wrong)

Jen :)

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:48 am

I suggest you start with the Bible.
Use it for reading through.Use it for history .Use it for literature study.
http://www.bibleliteracy.org/bibcdocs/B ... rt2006.pdf

And then add other .My children enjoyed CLE lightunits.
www.clp.org

Do things that are real like gardenning and sewing etc or mechanics if a male child.My boys have been doing mechanics since 9 years of age.
And my girls start sewing between ages 8 to 10.

In an article called LIving Books ,is discussed how nature can be incorporated in homeschooling too.
This in a newsletter called The Narrow Way ,downloadable for free at http://www.homechurchresources.com/Home ... letter.htm
The article mentioned here is issue Jan '07.

Curriculum doesn't have to mean just within the pages of regular schoolbooks.
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

mec04
User

Postby mec04 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:12 pm

Have you looked at Curriculum Services? It is a complete packaged K - 12th grade curriculum. It is supposed to be self-instructional and very easy to use for homeschooling. It is not religious but rather public school material and it meets states standards for education. I hope this helps. I have never used it before but I am considering it this Fall.

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”