Accredited Curriculum

Anything specific to homeschooling in the state of Alabama.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

aaastones3
User

Accredited Curriculum

Postby aaastones3 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 pm

I am a certified teacher and attended public school as a child. I would like to homeschool my daughter (3rd grade) but am confused about what is required or necessary. My husband, who was homeschooled, says that we need to use an accredited curriculum. However, it seems like I'm seeing posts about parents picking parts of different curriculums to suit the needs of their children. Do I need an accredited homeschool umbrella group or an accredited curriculum? I'm confused and I want to make sure we cover the right bases to be homeschooling legally.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Accredited Curriculum

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 pm

aaastones3 wrote:I am a certified teacher and attended public school as a child. I would like to homeschool my daughter (3rd grade) but am confused about what is required or necessary. My husband, who was homeschooled, says that we need to use an accredited curriculum. However, it seems like I'm seeing posts about parents picking parts of different curriculums to suit the needs of their children. Do I need an accredited homeschool umbrella group or an accredited curriculum? I'm confused and I want to make sure we cover the right bases to be homeschooling legally.

Your husband misunderstands, his own experience notwithstanding. "Curriculum" is never accredited; only schools are. You could enroll your dd in a distance-learning school such as ABeka Academy, or The Sycamore Tree, which are accredited, but that might not be the best thing for either her or you. :-)

You are an educated person. I cannot imagine anything your dd needs to know that you cannot teach her. You do NOT need to use the services of an accredited school; you might choose it because you like the services, but you absolutely do not NEED to do so.

Check with Home School Legal Defense Association (hslda.org) regarding the homeschooling laws in Alabama.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Alabama”