Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accredited Curriculum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Alabama
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaastones3
User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Accredited Curriculum Reply with quote

I am a certified teacher and attended public school as a child. I would like to homeschool my daughter (3rd grade) but am confused about what is required or necessary. My husband, who was homeschooled, says that we need to use an accredited curriculum. However, it seems like I'm seeing posts about parents picking parts of different curriculums to suit the needs of their children. Do I need an accredited homeschool umbrella group or an accredited curriculum? I'm confused and I want to make sure we cover the right bases to be homeschooling legally.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Accredited Curriculum Reply with quote

aaastones3 wrote:
I am a certified teacher and attended public school as a child. I would like to homeschool my daughter (3rd grade) but am confused about what is required or necessary. My husband, who was homeschooled, says that we need to use an accredited curriculum. However, it seems like I'm seeing posts about parents picking parts of different curriculums to suit the needs of their children. Do I need an accredited homeschool umbrella group or an accredited curriculum? I'm confused and I want to make sure we cover the right bases to be homeschooling legally.

Your husband misunderstands, his own experience notwithstanding. "Curriculum" is never accredited; only schools are. You could enroll your dd in a distance-learning school such as ABeka Academy, or The Sycamore Tree, which are accredited, but that might not be the best thing for either her or you. Smile

You are an educated person. I cannot imagine anything your dd needs to know that you cannot teach her. You do NOT need to use the services of an accredited school; you might choose it because you like the services, but you absolutely do not NEED to do so.

Check with Home School Legal Defense Association (hslda.org) regarding the homeschooling laws in Alabama.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Alabama All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: