Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here from Florida?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptcbass
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Anyone here from Florida? Reply with quote

I am currently homeschooling my 9th grade son in Georgia but we might move to Florida and I am trying to figure out the differences and Florida requirements.

In Georgia we send in a Intent to homeschool and have to test once every three years. We don't have to send anything other than our intent and attendance to the state (this is done online). We have to do at least 180 days at 4.5 hours per day. We are to keep a report of how the child did during the year for our own records (not turned into anyone). Also the Georgia education site says students must pass a test in order to complete graduation but homeschoolers don't actually have to do this. I noticed the Florida education site says students must take certain test but I don't know if that applies to homeschoolers.

Is there anything I need to know about Florida? I have looked up the requirements on HSLDA but it is good to hear it from other parents and not in legal terms.

Also, what scholarship opportunities are there in Florida?

Thanks for any help!!
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here from Florida? Reply with quote

On the contrary, it's important to read the legal terms because so many parents get it wrong. Smile
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
ptcbass
User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I do and will read the legal terms but sometimes there are things that aren't really said in the legal terms that an experienced homeschool mom might know. Ex. GA education requirement page says you must complete a test at the end of 12th grade and pass it in order to graduate. BUT homeschoolers are exempt and it doesn't say that. I have learned that there are always important pieces of the puzzle that are missing when it comes to just trying to learn via the internet sites.

Thanks again. Very Happy
AngelaBreckenridge
User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure even home schooling, there's still guidelines and rules. Ask the officer in Admission-service.com to avoid wrong move.
davidharper
User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well really I do not think home schooling is bad. I prefer it, if you do it in right way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: