Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to begin homeschooling a Preschooler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandyandira
User

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: When to begin homeschooling a Preschooler Reply with quote

I have a 3 year old daughter. I am so overwhelmed by the amount of curriculum out there and the different ways to approach home schooling. I am also not sure what to do with her during her preschool years since most programs don’t begin until Kindergarten (not to mention the few programs I have found for preschool are things she already has learned....). I would like to have a Christian based program that is in alignment with the Colorado state requirements. I would like it to be structured yet non-traditional, if that even exists (not wanting a lot of testing). If you have any advise for me it would be greatly appreciated!! Very Happy
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: When to begin homeschooling a Preschooler Reply with quote

mandyandira wrote:
I have a 3 year old daughter. I am so overwhelmed by the amount of curriculum out there and the different ways to approach home schooling. I am also not sure what to do with her during her preschool years since most programs don’t begin until Kindergarten (not to mention the few programs I have found for preschool are things she already has learned....). I would like to have a Christian based program that is in alignment with the Colorado state requirements. I would like it to be structured yet non-traditional, if that even exists (not wanting a lot of testing). If you have any advise for me it would be greatly appreciated!! Very Happy

You don't have to buy a "program" to teach your little one. Parents have been teaching their children for millennia without buying anything; you will naturally teach your dd colors and shapes and numbers and counting and matching--all the kinds of things that you'd find in a glossy colored box of books.

Is there even such a thing as requirements for preschool?
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
LadyJorexzill
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: When to begin homeschooling a Preschooler Reply with quote

Preschool doesn't require a curriculum. Play games with her. Get her toys with colors and shapes. Get her crayons and clay (play doh?) and have her color and make things. Read her stories. Point out letters and tell her the sounds. That kind of thing. I'd avoid trying to have her memorize words, go with the phonic sounds. I'm sure there are Christian based stories you can read to her. If you want structure, put activities in a schedule (story time, crafting/art, outdoor, or whatever). I wouldn't push academics this young, though. There's a book you might want to get ahold of called Better Late than Early. Very interesting read.

mandyandira wrote:
mandyandira
User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both of your replies. Very good advice and I plan on reading the book you suggested! Thanks again!
-Amanda
nomanchamp
User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: homeschool curriculum Reply with quote

It's a anxiety mater to get a good home school for son of daughter. I also have same problem as your. Your information is helpful for me. But i get best solution from this site[URL="http://themorningstaracademy.org/courselistings/list.php"]The MorningStar Home School Academy[/URL]
I thing you will get best home school for your lovely baby.
hommeschooldad
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: When to begin homeschooling a Preschooler Reply with quote

Hi mandyandira,

I had the same concerns when I first started home schooling my girls. My oldest is 8 now. Anyway, what I did is gone to any story, and pick up one of those preschool workbooks (Crayola or Mead, among others make them). Work with her a little on them. My daughters loved them at that age. Have her color or count the objects. The key that I've found is to relax and have fun with it. She will learn. They all do.

I hope this helps

Home School Dad

Home School Dad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Curriculum Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: